Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull up help page

geostump is offline Senior Member

Pull up help

Primal Fuel
    I attempted to do a negative today, can't do one, I can't even hang on it. I bought one of those pull up bars that go over the frame of the door. I also remembered I have a fear of heights when I was trying this and it kicked in. Is there anything else I can try prior to doing a negative to at least help me be able to do this or am I screwed?

PMAC is offline Member
    BW rows! Change the position of your feet to make it easier or harder. Go get a tie down straps from home depot add two handles or a bar and throw it over your chin up bar

isaboblue is offline Senior Member
    You can use a chair and put a leg up, or both legs, to help you build strength. I also recommend just hanging to build your grip strength. Do this as often as you can. Everytime you pass by the pull up bar, do something with it. Hang until you can't anymore, then the next time you pass by, do some assisted pullups, as many as you can, but not to failure. If you can do a bunch of assisted pullups for example with both legs on the chair, try it with one leg. Then move on to unassisted negatives. Also, if you're 5'5 and 210lbs, you've still got quite a bit of weight to lose and the more you lose, the easier it will be, the more improvement you'll have. I'm 5'6 and I couldn't do negatives until I was about 140lbs (I started at 184lbs). It takes time to build strength and pull ups are pretty hard. Just keep practicing as often as possible and you'll eventually get it.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

I was thinking about going to the Goodwill store and getting a cheap sheet for something like that. Do you think that would work?

PMAC is offline Member
    tough grip but yes

The bar that I got has some arm thingys that came with it, yes I know not very technical. Do you have a some kind of diagram of what that kind of rigging should look like? I'm terrible with coming up with ideas for stuff

Arikara6 is offline Senior Member
    There's a couple things that got me good at pullups:
    1. Dumbbell rows
    2. Jumping pullups
    3. Partner or chair assisted pullups
    4. BW rows

When I was training for joining the service in highschool, I couldn't do a single pullup. After three months I had 4. By 6 I had 10. They just go up quick!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    The bar that I got has some arm thingys that came with it, yes I know not very technical. Do you have a some kind of diagram of what that kind of rigging should look like? I'm terrible with coming up with ideas for stuff
    go to the worldwide pull up challenge thread, there's videos there.

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    The videos in the other thread (posted by iniQuity) are great.

Shouldn't the push-ups and jack knifes also help strengthen the core and arms to get you pull-up ready? Asking cause I'm going to need help, too. Getting ready to try that negative thing now.

jenni is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Geo, I've had my bar for about two weeks now and I say just keep trying. I couldn't even hang at first, but I just keep trying every time I pass it and now I can hang and struggle my way up about a half inch. I do push-ups, triceps dips, and kettle bell exercises a few times/week and that's it. It will happen, I really thought it was a lost cause the first time I tried, but I just keep trying and I know I will be able to do one eventually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast