Thread: Calories burned during standing? page

trippplez is offline Member

Calories burned during standing?

Hello,

I did a major change in my work life Ė made a standup computer desk at home where I work on average 8-12 hours/day, so letís say I have no more than 2-3 hours of sitting time from about 16 hours total waking time.
    Iíve researched on the internet about the calorie expenditure when someone is standing as opposed to sitting the same amount of hours but didnít find any conclusive and well-backed numbers. Do you have any idea of the calories ďburnedĒ during standing?

Thanks in advance

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Why do you want to know? What will you do differently if you find out that you burn 100 calories a day extra, or no calories a day extra, or whatever?

The reason I ask is that your question suggests you're still thinking calories-in/calories-out....that if you can expend a bit more energy standing, you'll lose weight faster. The chances are, you'll just feel hungrier because of the extra calorie burn and eat more without realizing it.

That's not to say I think you should sit down...I do believe we sit far too much!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Agree the cals will be marginal and irrelevant. I believe it is still a good idea if your back and feet can take it.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    It is more than calories...

There was some research .. the article ..that showed the very act of sitting released enzymes that slowed the metabolism and that the net "calorie burn" from standing vs. sitting was MUCH higher in reality than in theory.

As far as "if your back can stand it" MOST modern back problems come from the fact that we sit too much. Humans werent meant to be bent at the hips 12 hours a day. However, walking slowly is easier on the body than standing. I have my desk on a treadmill and run it at 0.9 miles per hour when I work on the computer.

The relevant part:
    But it looks as though there’s a more sinister aspect to sitting, too. Several strands of evidence suggest that there’s a “physiology of inactivity”: that when you spend long periods sitting, your body actually does things that are bad for you.

As an example, consider lipoprotein lipase. This is a molecule that plays a central role in how the body processes fats; it’s produced by many tissues, including muscles. Low levels of lipoprotein lipase are associated with a variety of health problems, including heart disease. Studies in rats show that leg muscles only produce this molecule when they are actively being flexed (for example, when the animal is standing up and ambling about). The implication is that when you sit, a crucial part of your metabolism slows down.

Nor is lipoprotein lipase the only molecule affected by muscular inactivity. Actively contracting muscles produce a whole suite of substances that have a beneficial effect on how the body uses and stores sugars and fats.
    Last edited by runnergal; 03-12-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: found the article
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    MTA: from an allegorical side--dh commented that this was the first winter ever that he has not put on a few pounds. The only change he can think of is that he went from a chair to a yoga ball.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and the answer is 50 calories, apparently. Still not convinced it's worth knowing.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agreed, just dont go from zero hours standing to 12 hours standing overnight. And do watch you posture.