Thread: Hello from Sweden. page

Uggla is offline Junior Member

Cool Hello from Sweden.

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone, here is my story:

I was 240lbs after the birth of my third child which was a year and a half ago, also I had two surgeries which caused me activity restrictions.

I still worked really hard and lost 75 lbs. But for the past few months I have been at a stand still of 165 lbs I did however get to 157 for a few weeks but I had to cut my calories extremely low (500 or less a day) then when I started to eat again I of course gained it back. I am a mother of three children, I must have energy! That didn't work for me.

Although at the moment I am the lowest weight (165 lbs) I have a goal weight somewhere between 135 and 125 lbs (I am 5' 4 inches) That puts me at a safe healthy weight, I also want to gain strength. I have restrictions on running and lifting due to medical reasons, but I lift and play with my children, garden, hike, swim, clean, walk, etc..

Going Primal makes so much sense. It really is an awesome thing. I hope to meet friends that can give me pointers and support.

Now I havent gone primal yet, but tomorrow is my first day! I already have gluten allergies so that will be no problem. I also don't eat starchy foods like rice, corn, and the spud family so I am already nearly there
    It's dairy, caffeine, and sugar I need to kick!
    Last edited by Uggla; 10-11-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    The pictures show a remarkable difference! I think you'll find an equal, or greater, difference in the way you feel once you complete the transition. The transition itself can be rough - some take it hard and fast, while others find it better to be gradual. I am a mix - I had to give up coffee cold turkey (just couldn't quit any other way), but I find myself easing out of dairy, as I just lose the taste for it. Find what works for you, and be patient with yourself. No change worth having happens overnight.

Welcome!!

Thank you for the kind words Annlee,
    I am really glad you wrote me back! May I ask you some questions?
    How long have you been primal? Can you share some of your experience?

I have had Marks books for about 6 months now and have been lingering around the website and forums for sometime now to get a better grasp of the lifestyle before plunging into it. I too am one of those people that need to quit cold turkey with some things or it will never happen. I gave up coffee two days ago, so its a tough time at the moment. I really did use it as my number one energy boost in the mornings. But any sort of caffeine stalls weightloss for me and gives me a bad belly so I am glad to give it up. But my body is telling me different this morning he he...
    Last edited by Uggla; 03-12-2011 at 10:45 PM.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Wow you look great already. Good luck with the journey!

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and good luck, but me and my GF have noticed that after going paleo our cravings for sugar have decreased dramatically. It might take a while, but when we crave something sweet we crave fruit because sugar is usually too sweet now. You will get use you just need some initial will power and it'll get easier.

Btw my grandparents are from Sweden and because of that i am a huge fan of Swedish things (hence my name) such as history and mythology. Me and my some of my cousins are dieing to go on a trip to Sweden. I know i'm not really Swedish since only my grandparents are from their, but my nicknames throughout life have been "The Viking" and "Swede," iv'e even been called Thor. Lol.

Thanks again for the support everyone.

NeoBerserker,
    I went sugar-free a few years back for about a year and a half, up until I found out about my gluten problems. I am not much of a junk-food kinda girl and I did it before with ease so I think it won't be such a problem. I guess I had more trouble back then because they add sugar into everything. But I didn't think so "pure" when it comes to foods as I do today. So I am not looking to buy dressings like I did back then or such items that contain major sugar.

If your grandparents came from Sweden then you are part Swedish. No matter where you're born they are still a part of you right? My husband studies Old Norse Mythology at a University here. He has studied for over 15 years on his own before going to school for it. He is a writer and his second book published is about the "darker" aspects of the Sagas... Anyway, we really follow the old ways here at home.

I live in a tiny village in the forest, we just moved from one tiny village to another. I live about 2 minutes walking from an Rune-stone. Before we moved where we are now we lived near a pre-viking era offering well. There is a lot of old world culture here. I enjoy it a lot.
    Last edited by Uggla; 03-13-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I sort of evolved into paleo/primal slowly. I needed to lose weight (155cm/84.5kg, or 5'1"/186 lbs) - and a doctor recommended cutting out starches and most other carbs, and keeping my protein up. He didn't address fats ... I then found Life Without Bread and a lot of things clicked. I then read the Drs. Eades' books, and have found a number of bloggers I respect and read:

I've lost weight, which for me must include some calorie restriction - I hover around 135 (65kg) now, and am slowly recomposing.

I've slowly lost my taste for most starches, except as a fat delivery vehicle, and for dairy. So it's an evolving change for me. Be patient with yourself, as you didn't get where you are instantly, and you won't recover instantly, either. Some things may never recover completely - I, for instance, am always willing to eat - so I have to manage myself.

You will, through trial and error, find those things that work for you.

Thanks so much Annlee! You totally rule! I love to read blogs. I am grateful for the links.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I also have to watch what and how much I consume.

I had cancer some years ago my doctor suggest I started eating better and lose weight. But I already was headed in that direction on my own. I was aware of my situation. It was not until I talked about my gluten issues that a friend on facebook linked me to Marks blog, I was hooked right away.

I like that people talk about evolving into this lifestyle. It is true a change in routine is not easy but can be done, once you stick with it, it becomes the routine.
    Last edited by Uggla; 03-13-2011 at 01:41 PM.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggla View Post
    Thanks again for the support everyone.

NeoBerserker,
    I went sugar-free a few years back for about a year and a half, up until I found out about my gluten problems. I am not much of a junk-food kinda girl and I did it before with ease so I think it won't be such a problem. I guess I had more trouble back then because they add sugar into everything. But I didn't think so "pure" when it comes to foods as I do today. So I am not looking to buy dressings like I did back then or such items that contain major sugar.

If your grandparents came from Sweden then you are part Swedish. No matter where you're born they are still a part of you right? My husband studies Old Norse Mythology at a University here. He has studied for over 15 years on his own before going to school for it. He is a writer and his second book published is about the "darker" aspects of the Sagas... Anyway, we really follow the old ways here at home.

I live in a tiny village in the forest, we just moved from one tiny village to another. I live about 2 minutes walking from an Rune-stone. Before we moved where we are now we lived near a pre-viking era offering well. There is a lot of old world culture here. I enjoy it a lot.
    Damn right i consider myself Swedish, and damn proud of it too, i just feel humbled in the presence of real Swedes. Haha.

Where you live sounds great, i would love to visit there and see what the "motherland" is like, especially in a tiny village in the forest.

My high school mythology teacher let me take over class when it came to Norse mythology because i knew way more than he did. Lol.