Thread: Guava Berries - any ideas?... page

Misabi is online now Senior Member

Guava Berries - any ideas?...

Primal Fuel
    I have two large guava berry trees which are just starting to ripen (only just noticed this by accident while I was mowing the grass and saw a couple of really juice plump dark red berries had dropped from the tree).

In previous years I've eaten some myself, filled a few plastic bags and taken them to work or given them to friends, and the rest have just been left to fall and rot away.

As berries have become part of my daily diet, I thought that this would obviously be a total waste and if I can harvest as many as possible this year and preserve them it would save me from having to buy other berries as we are now heading into winter.

The obvious options are drying, freezing & making jam (would be quite tart unless I add sugar, maybe honey or stevia would be ok..). I know some people make wine with them or use them to flavour rum. Does anyone have any other ideas or good guava berry recipes?

Just had a thought about a recipe... The one thing that I've really missed since going primal is a good apple crumble, if I can find or come up with a good primal version then I could make a guava berry and apple crumble.

This looks like a good place to start, thanks Khrystyna
    Last edited by Misabi; 03-12-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added a recipe link

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Just had a thought about a recipe... The one thing that I've really missed since going primal is a good apple crumble, if I can find or come up with a good primal version then I could make a guava berry and apple crumble.

This looks like a good place to start, thanks Khrystyna
    I had quava and apple crumble for dessert the other night...hmmmmmm, it was sooo yummy!

If you eat dairy, you could stew the guava and have them with thickened cream or mixed into some full cream natural yoghurt. If you don't eat dairy, stew them (as you can use up quite alot doing it this way) and serve with coconut cream.........and then invite me over to help eat it! LOL!
    Last edited by TARNIP; 03-14-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Lol thanks Tarnip. I cooked the guava and apple crumble last night for some friends. I think it was a success, at least there wasn't much left and what there was I just polished off :-D

I did "crumble" and have some french vanilla ice cream with it last night, but it tasted good though to sweet. Tonight I had whipped cream with some real vanilla for extra flavor, much better! :-)

I really need to come up with long term storage ideas to add to freezing and dehydrating, maybe jam and chutney might be a option..