Thread: Spicy Mexican Tuna Salad page

NicoleP is offline Senior Member

Smile Spicy Mexican Tuna Salad

Primal Fuel
    I stumbled upon this while looking for a primal enchilada sauce recipe. I'm tired of the regular old tuna salad so I made this tonight and it might be the best tuna salad I have ever eaten (or either I was just really hungry). Use primal mayo if you have it and leave out the tortillas. I didn't have any primal mayo so I used the regular. I tried the hot sauce on it, but felt like it covered the flavor of the lime, tomatoes and cilantro too much. I also didn't use the lettuce.

Spicy Tuna Salad Recipe
    Ingredients:

2 Cans tuna
    2 Serrano chiles minced
    1 Medium tomato diced
    1 Small onion diced
    1 Medium avocado diced
    1 Medium carrot shredded
    3 Sprigs of cilantro diced
    2 Cups lettuce finely shredded
    4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
    Juice from 2 limes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Hot sauce – Try Cholula

Prepare:

Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.

Tuna Salad Recipe Serves 4-6

I removed all of the non primal ingredients, but the original recipe can be found here.

http://mexicanfoodie.com/spicy-tuna-salad/

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great. I was lazy. For lunch I had a handful of lettuce, one package of tuna and an avocado. I'm sure yours was better.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Sounds great. I was lazy. For lunch I had a handful of lettuce, one package of tuna and an avocado. I'm sure yours was better.
    It was awesome. I am really surprised by how good it was and will be eating this several days a week now. I'm getting real tired of eggs. Now I need to find a good tuna brand. If anyone has any suggestions please post them. I am still eating the Starkist tuna in olive oil. I don't think the one in sunflower oil is primal.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I am trying to figure out which companies use BPA in their cans. Apparently Trader Joe's tuna is in BPA-free cans. I have been using the water-packed tuna in pouches. Not sure if they have BPA. Olive oil is primal, sunflower not.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    I am trying to figure out which companies use BPA in their cans. Apparently Trader Joe's tuna is in BPA-free cans. I have been using the water-packed tuna in pouches. Not sure if they have BPA. Olive oil is primal, sunflower not.
    I ordered this last night and I hope it doesn't taste like shit. There is no oil of any kind in it so I will have to add some olive oil. Not sure about BPA-free cans though.

Wild Planet Sustainably Caught Wild Skipjack Light Tuna, 5 Ounce Cans (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Edit: Just checked their website and the cans are BPA-free.
    Last edited by NicoleP; 03-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Dana is offline Junior Member
    I ate this for lunch today, minus the lettuce and carrots. It was really great! I mixed the "sauce" first - mayo, hot sauce (I used sriracha) and lime juice. Then added the tuna and mixed it in, breaking it up with a fork. Then folded in the onion, tomato, cilantro, chiles. Salt and pepper to taste. Gently folded in the avocado chunks last. Delicious!

^^I ate it again last night. It seems to get better with more and more lime.

Bunnyfoot is offline Member
    This turned out awesome, I doubled the recipe so we would have enough for dinner - suddenly the bowl doesn't look deep enough

I used cayenne for the extra kick instead of the hot sauce so it doesn't cover up the flavor of the lime and ditched the carrots because I have a carrot allergy - I guess I will find out soon enough if cilantro falls into that category (parsley does).

But I am really digging this salad, thanks for sharing!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyfoot View Post
    This turned out awesome, I doubled the recipe so we would have enough for dinner - suddenly the bowl doesn't look deep enough

I used cayenne for the extra kick instead of the hot sauce so it doesn't cover up the flavor of the lime and ditched the carrots because I have a carrot allergy - I guess I will find out soon enough if cilantro falls into that category (parsley does).

But I am really digging this salad, thanks for sharing!
    I may have to try this, but its already kind of hot with the serrano. Its so easy to make and thats one of the best points.