Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulin vs. Cortisol, or: How to Feed and Water Your Muscles page 2

darkersolace is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    From what I recall reading on Leangains, Martin recommends ~10g BCAA pre-lifting if you have been fasting up to that point, since training completely fasted can be detrimental to muscle gains. The BCAAs help limit/prevent? muscle catabolism that would otherwise occur. I don't think there is any advantage to using them on non-lifting days, but I could be wrong.
    But what about in a non-fasted state? I work out in the afternoons (I am SO NOT a morning person, so working out in the am is just not happening) and while I have usually not eaten for about 4 hours prior to my workout, that's hardly a fast.
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I'm glad to report good progress with Leangains also. Just for informational purposes, unless that is a HUGE sweet potato you're eating, it probably has less than 150g of carbs. A pound of baked mashed sweet potato (skin not included) has about 92g of carbs. I think they lose a fair amount of weight in cooking (water->steam being driven off) and the peel accounts for some weight too.
    Sorry, I'm getting all caught up in details again. If you're getting good results and feeling good, that's what matter.
    After peeling, the one I measured came out to ~750 grams, so yeah, I get some big sweet potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by darkersolace View Post
    But what about in a non-fasted state? I work out in the afternoons (I am SO NOT a morning person, so working out in the am is just not happening) and while I have usually not eaten for about 4 hours prior to my workout, that's hardly a fast.
    My trainer buddy advises taking them with a small amount of citrus fruit (think mandarin orange). He never did give me a solid answer on how long between eating is advisable but I believe 4 hours is plenty to allow for the benefits of BCAA supplementation. I used to train in the afternoon so I would eat a normal breakfast at like 10am, train around 2pm and take BCAA's at that time.

They are good for use during a fasted state because they won't tax your digestive system. If you wanted you could eat a small hunk of protein 30-60min pre-workout for similar benefits.
    Last edited by federkeil; 03-16-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12