Thread: Forged in butter - Tom's Primal Journal page

bwr827 is offline Member

Forged in butter - Tom's Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's about time I started one of these. I'm taking back my body with the Primal Blueprint, and I'm going to use this journal to keep myself on track.

My weight/health background (an introduction I posted in late January):

I've struggled with weight issues for most of my life. I've been pretty active off and on, though. After high school I gave up soda and took up tae kwon do, dropping about 50 pounds (250-200) over two years. I stayed that way for years. Then, a few years ago I did a strict calorie-counting, conventional wisdom diet and lost about 25 pounds (went from 204 to 178). It was hell, but I loved the results. Then I went off the diet and slowly but inexorably gained about 30 pounds!

I tried all last year to get back on my previously effective starvation diet (~1,200/day for a 6'1" male), but just couldn't bring myself to suffer through that again when I knew I just might gain it all back a second time.

Through the fitness section of reddit: the voice of the internet -- news before it happens, I found my way to this site, and everything clicked pretty quickly. Now I'm about halfway through Mark's book and I've been eating about 90% primal for about one week. I've already been working out 2-3 days per week for about nine months, so I'm simply adjusting my regime to fit the primal fitness concepts.

My goal was to lose weight and fit back into those clothes I enjoyed for a brief period in 2008. But now that I'm getting a taste of primal living, my goal is shifting to achieving my optimum body composition and becoming more fit than I have ever been. For the first time in my life, I actually feel like I can make it happen!

bwr827 is offline Member
    It's been about six weeks since I started, and I'm down about five pounds. But I've had several stops and restarts in this period, which is one of the reasons I've started this journal.

I've been 95% primal all week, and had my first taste of intermittent fasting yesterday and today. Yesterday, lunchtime came around and I found I just wasn't hungry (breakfast was coffee with heavy cream, a cheese omelet and three slices of bacon). I figured why not skip lunch and eat when I get home from work? Did that easily! Man, before primal I would have been crashing hard by 2 o'clock.

Got home, looking for a primal snack. This week I'd been enjoying an apple sliced in half, spread with some almond butter and sprinkled with a pinch of sea salt. But yesterday, no apples left! Damn. Almost gave in to eating some of my pregnant wife's non-primal snacks...then I got an idea. Figured I'd try to make something of a few tablespoons of almond butter. Whipped them up with some sea salt, a couple of teaspoons of cocoa powder and a pinch of splenda (I know, I know). Tasted pretty good!

Yesterday supper: farmer sausage and peppers in a rustic tomato sauce, sprinkled with some grated parmesan. Yum! Was done eating by 7:30, in bed by 11:00, not starving (still amazed that can happen, after so many years eating grains).

This morning, got my coffee with heavy cream, but wasn't hungry, so no breakfast. Another IF! Hit the gym at 10 a.m., half-expecting to crash midway through my workout. But I was fine! Did 25 minutes on the elliptical at a moderate pace, then a bunch of free weights for another 20 minutes.

Made it 'til 11:30 a.m. before I needed to refuel. Lunch: salad with balsamic dressing and 3-4 hard-boiled eggs (they were pre-sliced at the salad bar).

Feeling great!

bwr827 is offline Member
    Finished yesterday off with another small serving of that almond butter concoction when I got home, and then a late dinner of leftover sausage and peppers. A successful primal day!

Up too early this morning, but again not really hungry for breakfast. So I've got coffee with heavy cream, which should tide me over until an early lunch.

Time to catch up on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like things are going really well for you.

bwr827 is offline Member
    Thanks! So far, so good. But every week or so, I've gone off primal for what starts as dinner, then leads into an evening of candy and other crap. I pick it up fine the next day, but it's annoying and no question it is inhibiting my progress. My short-term goal is to make it 10 days straight primal, to break that cycle. I'm only four days in, and I've got a test tonight — dinner out with friends.