Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you get sick after "cheating"? page 3

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm pretty much lacking that 'built in governor' - except I've noticed that too much sugar makes my joints ache - almost like they did pre-Primal. How nostalgic.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    I use to get not get sick, but now i guess my normal cheats aren't that bad (like dark chocolate or maybe some maple syrup in coconut pancakes) so that when i really do cheat with CW food i get sick. Beans, i just learned, kill me and make me want to throw up for a while along with stomach cramps. Cake= feeling like crap/low energy/bloating/weight gain.

All the more reason to stick to being as 100% paleo as i can. I wish i'd get more sick eating crappy foods so that i'm even less tempted to cheat.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    I have only been Primal for 9 weeks. But in that time I have noticed, through fault that was all my own, that cheating is actually HURTING me. In other words, the foods that I used to enjoy eating do not provide enjoyment AT ALL for me anymore. And so, really, I dont have a desire to cheat. It kind of has made me crave PB foods instead. I know that seems harsh and overly dogmatic....but I really don't crave CW foods anymore. Also, a big part of it is that I never really had a sweet tooth when I was eating CW. I had no problem dropping sugar when I went primal. Never really cared about sweets before I was primal and surely dont miss them now. Bread too, Maybe what I am saying is I think my body was always trying to "push" me to eat this way. I honestly, truly, dont desire cheating. And what is worse for me is when I want to eat primal and cant because there is nothing to eat that is primal. Now, that, is a problem for me.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Pizza, man. It was going to be a once a month guilt free cheat but it makes my lips puffy and numb. I got the sensation a little pre-primal but now it's more pronounced. Googling indicates MSG in the cheese a likely culprit.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I don't really get sick, per se...From a single wheat/gluten exposure, I may get some gas and bloating, but nothing too bad usually. Too much sugar/grains and my joints, esp bum knee, start to hurt. Too much sugar or dairy and my face breaks out and my allergies start kicking up (esp the dairy..maybe not so much allergy reaction to sugar). Too many cheats strung together and my energy level declines, I start to get the "blahs" and really moody.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    This is normal, and it's why you should not cheat. Humans are not designed to eat grains or sugar, point-blank and period.
    I can see a legit case being made for humans not eating grains, esp gluten grains...but I don't see the same case for sugar (as in carbohydrate). I think we (human beings) can and do handle it in varying degrees in our diet. There are plenty of healthy non-westernized people that rely heavily on carbs without the diseases of civilization (ie, the kitavins). Or are you referring to fructose or other (refined) sugar, specifically?
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

handgallop is offline Member
    my reaction seems to depend on what the "cheat" is.

The other day I downed a couple double-chocolate-chili-espresso cookies (these also contain cinnamon, cardamom, and brandy!) that I had made for a bake sale (I'm one of the best bakers I know, so I still do this for special events, etc). I had no real reaction - they were just tasty and didn't effect me negatively at all, as far as I can tell.

But at a get together about a month ago, a couple brownies made me feel "hungover" within about thirty minutes. I really felt awful, like I needed to lie down and sleep it off.

And rice the other day (jambalaya), which I thought wouldn't be too bad in the big scheme of things, gave me such bad GI issues the following morning I'm pretty convinced I should never eat rice again. (and then I realized - that's how I used to feel EVERY morning. Wow.)

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I don't get sick either, but the next day I feel like I have a hangover as if I was out drinking all night. It's really weird.

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member
    About a month into Primal I ate pizza and a cookie and had a terrible sinus headache the next day.

But - my twin daughters 21st birthday was this week and I have eaten 4 pieces of cake the last 2 days to "celebrate", with no ill effects. OMG it was so good, not sure if the cake is actually that good or just seems so good since I haven't had any cake since January! Thankfully it is almost all gone now.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I'm only 6 weeks in, but I haven't cheated yet so I don't know how I'd react. The only "cheat" I've had, which was a cheat in my mind but not in reality, was some dark chocolate and strawberries once to get me through a bad pms time. I don't have fruit, dairy (besides butter) sugars or grains.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast