Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative dentistry? page

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Im a believer in Dr. Nara's approach to dentistry. I dont use fluoride, havent in a year. Guess what? NO CAVITIES!!! I always have cavities (always=every single visit). My teeth are less sensitive. Lovely. Im looking into getting my amalgam fillings replaced to get rid of the mercury.

Synonomous to a CW doc telling you youre nuts for the PB diet, my dentist tells me to go on fluoride like, yesterday. I need a dentist who will work with me, and not make me feel like a crazy person. Anyone know any sources???

FYI this matters so much to me because my teeth are one of my big problems. When all is said and done mah grill will be worth about 30k.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

What do you mean, "take fluoride?" I only know of it being in Florida well water or toothpaste.

There's lots of evidence that it does reduce cavities. Lots. When scientists noticed that many people in central Florida had great teeth, no cavities, that's what they determined.

I'm not saying you should be forced to consume it, but OTOH, there's nothing bad about it. When the public water systems started adding it in the sixties we were told it was a Communist plot. Yawn.

But congrats on a good exam.

62shelby Guest

Tara, I had my two amalgams out earlier this year, and no word of a lie, when they came out my jaw felt lighter. they are supposed to cause an electrical charge in your mouth, and a properly trained dentist will test the charge each one makes before deciding which ones need to come out first. see below

http://www.iaomt.org/articles/category_view.asp?intReleaseID=288&catid=30

this is a link to get you started on the protocol for safe removal. you can print this out and quiz any dentists about how closely they follow the protocol.

I recommend you locate a dentist that has been trained by Dr Huggins, and there are several things that you need to do prior to starting removal, like mega doses of vit C, and I recommend that you get a blood panel done to check your mineral levels as they can get trashed as your body starts letting go of the mercury.

http://www.hugginsappliedhealing.com/

dont listen to anyone that tells you that you need any I.V chelation before or afterwards, chelation is meant to be a very slow and gentle process as it puts tremendous stress on your elimination organs.

good luck

OTB- fluoride makes teeth brittle. I have tried as hard as I can to avoid it in water and toothpaste. My dentist means to use regular fluoridated toothpaste. It has all be positive results thus far.

62shelby- THANK YOU! This looks like what I am looking for. Also, I have like 2 fillings in each molar (my teeth are apparently chalk) so Im sure my whole face will feel lighter Yeah I get the rundown EVERY time I go to the dentist: "no i never drink pop. Yes I floss daily. No i dont eat candy. yes I brush well..." Lovely.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

TT my teeth aren't quite the same, but they're not great Brittle is probably a good word for them too, and I'm very prone to cavities (so is my mom, thanks a lot!). I just got dental coverage again, and need to schedule an appointment, but am dreading the snooty hygenist...why are they always so mean?

OTB, it's probably a different formula, but in Texas the water had fluoride added as well, and my mother-in-law and both of her brothers ended up with stained teeth (along with many many other people they say) because of it. It's like a light brownish stain that is kind of inside the teeth (or that's how it looks anyway), and can't be treated with regular whitening procedures. It isn't terribly noticeable, but she's always self-concious about it, and from something that she had no say over at all.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

tt and hc, I hear you. Just like weight loss programs, there are no doubt a lot of variables about adding fluoride to drinking water. Cosmetic, of course, is not the same issue as reduced cavities.

As the paleo diet pretty well proves, eat in that manner and cavities are almost unheard of. By now you know that I'm a skeptic and critical thinker, yet there is good evidence of healing, not just reduction, of caries on the paleo type of diet.

Wow!

groquette is offline Senior Member

Tara, I'd be interested in hearing more about Dr. Nara's approach. I searched a bit, and the only website I found about it is a real mess.

I've been less than impressed with the drill-and-fill approach.

MarceeShawn Guest

Hi, I am a dental hygienist and have been working full time for 15 years. I really do understand people's concerns about amalgams and flouride. I wanted Tara toodle to know that if her teeth are sensitive to sweets or just sensitive in general there is a reason why and that is what you need to research. That way you can address THAT situation. Flouride has been proven clinically to make teeth stronger and the side effect of that is (of course) less decay but also less tooth sensitivity. As an adult ingesting the flouride has no benefits, it needs to be applied to the teeth or sensitive area. There is a fairly new product called MI paste which does not contain flouride that is very effective in rebuilding enamel and reducing sensitivity and has been proven clinically. The web site is mipaste.com I hope this helps and give you some relief!

HannahC: thats hyperfluoridosis/dental fluorosis I believe.

OTB: I was just so SICK of having fillings all the time, even when I was impeccable with my hygeine. I mean really, the hygenist tells me that she never gets anything off my teeth! I DEF agree with you on the primal diet/tooth health thing. Eliminate the little bacteria's source of food (sugars) and they cant thrive and kill our teeth with their acid byproducts! In addition to the no fluoride I have (obviously) changed my diet and added 4,000 IU of Vit D daily. I also use a paste that has minerals in it (theoretically for remineralization) and use a baking soda mouthwash (to neutralize acids). Whew. I hope it keeps working.

groquette: I downloaded "How to be Dentally Self Sufficient". I agree, the site is a mess... but the I believe the points he makes are valid. Its a great resource.

Marceeshawn: Thanks for the info... Ill go check out the MIpaste stuff.

Tara, swish with a xylitol solution. Absolutely proven when used in gum in Finland to cut cavities.

I'm not particularly prone to cavities, and I had some major work done this spring, so it will be interesting to see what my dental health is like in the near future. Including plaque in that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast