Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: beginner workout suggestions? page

Night-Raven is offline Member

Question beginner workout suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    Alright, after losing 30 pounds (mostly muscle) on my previous diet (before I found MDA) I'm now looking to gain some lean body mass and I need a good workout routine that focuses on upper and lower body (but I'm mostly concerned right now with my upper body strength).

I have a set of 1-50 pound dumbbells and a perfect pull bar.

what kind of workout would you recommend for someone starting out again?
    Height: 6' 1.5"
    Weight: 135 lb
    My Journal

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I am really new to the fitness aspect of being Primal but Al Kavadlo has a great body weight workout on his blog that I am doing, also there is the free fitness book from Mark, and also simple fit. I personally am starting out with body weight exercise's and once I can do say 20 pull ups and 50 or more push ups I figure I can take a closer look and change things but I think body weight is the best place to start. But like I said I am new to the fitness part of this so I could be completely wrong.

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    definetely check out al's site, hes the man. alkavadlo.com
    but as for a workout routine goes have you checked out primal blueprint fitness? it covers 5 basic movements pushups pullups squats overhead press and plank. it has progressions to get upto and beyond each movement if your not even there.. hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    I am really new to the fitness aspect of being Primal but Al Kavadlo has a great body weight workout on his blog that I am doing, also there is the free fitness book from Mark, and also simple fit. I personally am starting out with body weight exercise's and once I can do say 20 pull ups and 50 or more push ups I figure I can take a closer look and change things but I think body weight is the best place to start. But like I said I am new to the fitness part of this so I could be completely wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon tall tree View Post
    definetely check out al's site, hes the man. alkavadlo.com
    but as for a workout routine goes have you checked out primal blueprint fitness? it covers 5 basic movements pushups pullups squats overhead press and plank. it has progressions to get upto and beyond each movement if your not even there.. hope this helps
    thanks, I'll definitely check out his website.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecOps View Post
    I strongly recommend that you establish a solid baseline by strictly following Mark's Primal Blueprint E Fitness to include the self assessment for at least 30-60 days before you pile on too many other variations. You are young and have a full life ahead to personalize your workouts and goals. The worst thing you can do is take "too much" advice from good intended people. You will have to control your personal urges to do more to fast.... slow down and build your base for life... remember it is a lifetime not an event!!! Best wishes.... please keep us posted of your progress.
    Thank you for your positive post... I now have a lot of information to look over as well as a number of options to consider; enough information to get me started in the right direction I hope
    My Journal

daveyace is offline Member
    if its upper body strength you want i would start with all the basic movements, bench press, shoulder press, lat pull downs, bent over rows, barbell curls and dips. If you dont go to a gym or dont have the equipment you can do push-ups and pull-ups. You can get really good workouts without weights you just have to learn how to use whats in front of you. Take a look on youtube for ghetto workouts

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Firstly, losing 30 pounds when you are 135 pounds at 6'2" - I admit I am not too familiar with imperial weights, but this looks like you have gone maybe a bit further than you should have. What is your BF percentage?

Secondly - bodyweight stuff is great, and Al's stuff rocks. Certainly a point where to start. However, to building mass I believe there is one thing, and one thing only: powerlifting, and in particular squatting. I would think if you had access to a proper gym with a squat rack you could benefit following a full 5x5 routine, either Rippetoe's, or Mehdi's stronglifts. You are probably young enough to dive straight into it (with an empty bar though!).

And keep in mind: if you really build muscle, you will also gain fat (Rip says at best 60/40). Looking at your vitals this does not sound too much of a problem to me, and you can work on getting rid of it later. If you are (low-cal) dieting whilst lifting you are making your life more difficult than you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyace View Post
    if its upper body strength you want i would start with all the basic movements, bench press, shoulder press, lat pull downs, bent over rows, barbell curls and dips. If you dont go to a gym or dont have the equipment you can do push-ups and pull-ups. You can get really good workouts without weights you just have to learn how to use whats in front of you. Take a look on youtube for ghetto workouts
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've been scouring the net for some place to start...currently I'm working on following the hundred push-ups program with Mark's workout suggestions on the post about gaining weight and building muscles (substitution push-ups for pull-ups and modifying the squats and dead-lifts for dumbbells)

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    Firstly, losing 30 pounds when you are 135 pounds at 6'2" - I admit I am not too familiar with imperial weights, but this looks like you have gone maybe a bit further than you should have. What is your BF percentage?

Secondly - bodyweight stuff is great, and Al's stuff rocks. Certainly a point where to start. However, to building mass I believe there is one thing, and one thing only: powerlifting, and in particular squatting. I would think if you had access to a proper gym with a squat rack you could benefit following a full 5x5 routine, either Rippetoe's, or Mehdi's stronglifts. You are probably young enough to dive straight into it (with an empty bar though!).

And keep in mind: if you really build muscle, you will also gain fat (Rip says at best 60/40). Looking at your vitals this does not sound too much of a problem to me, and you can work on getting rid of it later. If you are (low-cal) dieting whilst lifting you are making your life more difficult than you have to.
    Yes, dropping 30 pounds was a big step back in my progress towards fitness, but I'm trying to move forward with as much information and knowledge possible to get back and beyond what I've lost.

Unfortunately without transportation and the funds to spend on a gym membership I cannot gain access to more than I have currently...

is there any kind of "powerlifting" workout that I can perform without sacrificing results?
    My Journal

salmonofdoubt is offline Junior Member
    If you're just getting started I'd stick with body weight exercises, but if you're longing to do squats under some weight and can't afford a gym, Home Depot sells 60lb bags of sand for $4 each. Heave one or two on your shoulders and get squatting. You can use them as is, or get a cheap duffel bag from a thrift store, line it with a trash bag and fill it up. That's what I did.
    Primal since November 2010 and loving every minute of it.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    you are seriously tiny. you need mass. don't worry about lean mass, just eat more and pick up stuff that is heavy. seriously, a little fat is way better than super underweight.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    you are seriously tiny. you need mass. don't worry about lean mass, just eat more and pick up stuff that is heavy. seriously, a little fat is way better than super underweight.
    I'd second that. Id also second the sandbag thing - look at coach palfrey stuff. And drink milk! Loads of it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast