Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: beginner workout suggestions? page 2

Night-Raven is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by salmonofdoubt View Post
    If you're just getting started I'd stick with body weight exercises, but if you're longing to do squats under some weight and can't afford a gym, Home Depot sells 60lb bags of sand for $4 each. Heave one or two on your shoulders and get squatting. You can use them as is, or get a cheap duffel bag from a thrift store, line it with a trash bag and fill it up. That's what I did.
    That's an awesome idea, thanks... Do you have any other "MacGyver" workout equipment ideas or know of a website where I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    I'd second that. Id also second the sandbag thing - look at coach palfrey stuff. And drink milk! Loads of it!
    Who is coach palfrey? and why milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    you are seriously tiny. you need mass. don't worry about lean mass, just eat more and pick up stuff that is heavy. seriously, a little fat is way better than super underweight.
    Thanks but I'm not looking to gain mass, I'm looking to gain full body strength, and lots of it, doing it the primal way...besides I already know I need to "lift heavy things" that's why I asked for workout ideas centered around dumbbells, body weight and the pull-up bar.

I Need Ideas...
    Height: 6' 1.5"
    Weight: 135 lb
    My Journal

Melody is offline Senior Member
    you're not going to get stronger without adding some mass to your body. primal men were big and strong, not skinny. and since your bodyweight is only 20 lbs more than mine (a thin 5'4" woman) bodyweight exercise won't get you very far. make some sandbags, weighted balls, a dip bar. check out hobogym.com and shovelglove.com for some low cost at home equipment you can easily make.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    you're not going to get stronger without adding some mass to your body. primal men were big and strong, not skinny. and since your bodyweight is only 20 lbs more than mine (a thin 5'4" woman) bodyweight exercise won't get you very far. make some sandbags, weighted balls, a dip bar. check out hobogym.com and shovelglove.com for some low cost at home equipment you can easily make.
    I'm glad you aren't my trainer.

Night-Raven... you can and will get stronger without gaining mass. The body will find every way it can to get stronger before it increases muscle mass because increased muscle mass requires more food to feed it.

The formula is simple. Stress your muscles to failure. Rest. Allow your body to adapt then stress again.

I was frustrated because I was getting stronger... (that is a good thing)... but I wasn't getting bigger. (That was an ego thing). I saw a report that said it can take up to 2 years before the body adds to muscle mass to add to strength.

I got stronger every week but I can say it took at least 18 months before I saw increased measurements in my body parts.

Building muscle mass is a marathon... not a sprint.

i guess "strong" is relative.

i guess "strong" is relative.
    "Strong" is very relative. The body will adapt synaptics to improve strength in a particular motion to avoid building muscle mass. Increased muscle mass means the body has to find more food to feed the mass. The body is designed to get stronger every way it can without increasing muscle mass.

Primal men weren't big and strong... they were lean and very strong.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Don't listen to Vic. I'm sorry but, seriously. He thinks that the ideal workout is to use a machine till failure once every six weeks per body part - and that it takes two years (????) to gain strength from muscle mass. He thinks that running in place = full bore sprints. Vic, at least you should say when you give advice that you are coming from a fringe perspective and that almost no professionals in the field of getting strong agree with you.
    You need to gain mass - I was 6'1" 150 lb in high school and to be skinnier than that - well-- dude you need mass, and if i'ts 1/2 muscle 1/2 fat that will be very healthy for you and frankly make you look a ton better on the side. You can get strong while adding mass, just lift barbell weights (lots of great programs) and eat a ton of food. Milk is great because you can eat three huge meals per day and still down a quart or more of milk on top of it if you really try. Eat. Eat. Eat. Then lift weights and sprint.

Adult Males - Normal T | 70's Big
    order this shirt and drink milk til you can wear it in public!

salmonofdoubt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    The formula is simple. Stress your muscles to failure. Rest. Allow your body to adapt then stress again.
    +1 You don't have to be lifting heavy weights to build strength (at least starting out), you can achieve similar results by doing more reps on body-weight exercises. The point is to work your muscles almost to failure, however you can. The PB Fitness ebook has done wonders for me, and I was also starting from what felt like square one. Don't let lack of equipment stand in the way of working out. All you need to do pullups are a tree branch, or railing, or a 2x4 screwed to some floor joists in your basement, ect. In the spirit of "MacGyver" look around your home and see what you can use that you already have. It doesn't have to be pretty or elegant, it just has to work.

A word of warning though, it is harder (for me anyway) to maintain proper form during squats with improvised weights than it is with a bar. Make sure you have a rock solid form by doing body-weight squats (in front of a mirror if possible) before you start putting any weight on your shoulders. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself by lifting wrong/too heavy and fall off the wagon entirely.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by salmonofdoubt; 03-12-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Primal since November 2010 and loving every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Don't listen to Vic. I'm sorry but, seriously. He thinks that the ideal workout is to use a machine till failure once every six weeks per body part - and that it takes two years (????) to gain strength from muscle mass. He thinks that running in place = full bore sprints. Vic, at least you should say when you give advice that you are coming from a fringe perspective and that almost no professionals in the field of getting strong agree with you.
    You need to gain mass - I was 6'1" 150 lb in high school and to be skinnier than that - well-- dude you need mass, and if i'ts 1/2 muscle 1/2 fat that will be very healthy for you and frankly make you look a ton better on the side. You can get strong while adding mass, just lift barbell weights (lots of great programs) and eat a ton of food. Milk is great because you can eat three huge meals per day and still down a quart or more of milk on top of it if you really try. Eat. Eat. Eat. Then lift weights and sprint.
    tfarny my friend... I wondered how long it take for you to appear.

I may be the fringe. However Mark with his fitness pyramid recommends lifting 1 to 3 times... 7 to 60 minutes a week.

I fall in that category. Do you?

Watch...

YouTube - Doug McGuff MD T21C 2010 [Full]

and a couple of these

The 21 Convention*|*

tfarny, I know you are getting stronger. So am I.
    We were both weak, we chose to change our lives and are doing so. The difference is I know I can keep my pace up for another 30 years. I doubt you can.

I didn't say he doesn't have to build mass... I'm a big promoter of that. I'm saying go to the the grocery store and look at a pound of ground beef. You are asking your body to produce that out of nothing but exercise and good food. If you think that will happen over night than you are full of shit.

"He thinks that running in place = full bore sprints" no... I said these would do until the weather breaks. It still gets the heart rate up and that causes a metabolic change.

I feel sorry for you. Living the lie is so much easier than facing science.

Night-Raven is offline Member
    Thank you for all of the posts, it looks like I have a lot of information to evaluate as well as different sides/directions to considered...
    Height: 6' 1.5"
    Weight: 135 lb
    My Journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast