Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Sparrow Trying to Fly Primal page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Golden Sparrow Trying to Fly Primal

Shop Now
    I think if I can start tracking what I'm eating and how I feel I will be able to narrow down what might be the cause of some issues I've been having lately. We shall see!

Breakfast:

Nada...I did a fast because I wasn't too hungry. Shortly before lunch I had 5 pecans. We have a pecan tree bonanza where I live...they are in much (free) abundance. I have to indulge occasionally. I made it until 10:50 without feeling horribly hungry. It was way past my usual "times up!" fast (14 hrs), but I didn't feel hungry after 7 last night and then not real hungry this morning so such is life.

Lunch at 12pm:

Small house salad with ginger dressing, salmon and green beans (The beans are an occasional thing. I have mostly cut them out except in the most dire of circumstances, which coincidentally has been twice this week. But if it's between potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. and beans...I figure the beans are the better option)

Not feeling so hot this afternoon....might've been the beans. Sluggish and foggy.

Dinner: TBD but I'm thinking about some chicken sausage in bacon grease or possibly coconut shrimp (egg white, coconut, coconut flour baked in coconut oil) I loooooove coconut shrimp!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Sparrow! Green beans are not bad unless they give you personally problems. Note them in the cover photo for Marks first recipe book.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the welcome! I think beans do give me some bloating, but I'd rather have that than ingest grains.

Ok so last night ended up being chicken sausage x2 plus bacon and an egg. Probably a bad idea to not include the veggies because of course I was starving an hour later and gave into a cup of berries with coconut milk whipped cream. I really liked it made with coconut milk, though. It was just as tasty as heavy whipping cream without all the stomach distress I get from dairy. After that tho the beast was unleashed, and I finished up the night with two squares of Lindt 85%. *hangs head in shame*

I'm beginning to think that I really really need breakfast. It's not that I can't "fast". It's that it seems to make me want to eat and eat for the rest of the day after I do it especially carby things like berries and chocolate. This morning I made up for my two day breakfast fasts this week with some coconut pancakes.....a big stack....a big big stack. It was a good decision in the long run because I ended up having to do a lot more running around this morning than usual. The fuel did me good. I had lots of pep to get the job done. We're moving into a new house tomorrow, and there's a lot of last minute things having to get done today before the heavy lifting of furniture.....last minute walk-thru, fence getting put up for the puppies, grass being laid, etc. And I get to direct it all...YAY! *hides under a rock*

Yeah so this past week has been a nightmare....moving is almost through tho! Hurrah! And I hopefully never ever have to do it again.

Other good news....despite the massive amounts of stress I managed to....well have a visitor that I'd been waiting on a long time (a month!!!!). So hopefully this means I'm back on track hormonally. I have managed through all this ordeal to stay relatively grain free. I say relative cause I do eat out a lot, and I'm sure something I've had has had a bit of flour or whatnot in it at some point unbeknownst to me. Now sugar free is another story.

Confession time...I'm ashamed. Hugely ashamed. I blame it on the hormones. I managed to eat ice cream every single night this past week. Good news is I fit it into my carb count and didn't go over a 100g. I'm back on track this week, however....back to some berries and the occasional dark chocolate. No more ice cream binges.

Lifestyle notations:

Watched Fat Head...everyone needs to! It was wonderful, and I immediately ordered it so I could pass it around to all my family and friends. Since they won't read Taubes, I think this is the key. More entertaining too...no offense Taubes. It was also the swift kick in the pants I needed to get down off the sugar wagon and back on the Primal trail.

On a completely different random topic, I hate my well water. My hair is a mess even tho I have a filter. Part of it is not the well waters fault tho. I'm just missing my curls. Why am I so impulsive? *waits impatiently for hair to grow back*

Ok I'm back. After a brief hiatus due to some more moving craziness, I'm back on track.

You know I didn't have the luxury like a lot of others of going through several low carb "styles" before this one. I had never done low carb anything before and got lucky that I landed on Mark's site I suppose. I admit it...I strayed this week...not to grains or extreme processed sweets...but to Atkins. *shudder* I added back in dairy....more cheese than I can shake a stick at, ranch dressing, cream cheese.... and cut out almost all fruit until last night. I made these cream cheese "muffins" that are basically CC, eggs, splenda, and vanilla. I was so sick this morning. And then I had to be honest with myself...I've been feeling "off" all week. Not the boundless energy I had when I was mostly Primal. It was the darn dairy...I know it. I always knew I had issues with dairy, but I tricked myself into believing that it wouldn't hurt because I was low carb now right? And maybe weight would fly off of me faster if I ate the dairy and forgoed my berries. Wrong. Dead wrong. Not only did I feel bad, but I didn't lose one pound all week. What a waste.

So now I'm back and feeling better already. I IFed this morning....not intentionally really....I had a bad IBS attack first thing and really just didn't feel like eating. I then had a few pecans around 10:30 and then at 12 I had a salmon salad with a ginger vinaigrette...yeah the vinaigrette I'm pretty sure wasn't primal. I'm working on my dressings. I'm going to try and start making my own once my stash is gone.

Anyways, I hope someone else can learn from my experience. There's no dairy for a reason...especially if you're trying to lose weight. It's like a fat holder lol...it won't release it. Here's to next week.

So proud of myself for yesterday...stuck to mostly Primal even though I was at the beach for a day, which is most certainly a special occasion in our family since we only get to go once every 6-8 months. I had a salad with tomatoes, shrimp, crab meat, half of avocado with a touch of remoulade sauce (ok a bit more than a touch...stuff is so good!) for lunch. For dinner I had unlimited all you can eat crablegs with melted butter and some fruit for dessert (cantaloupe, orange slices, honeydew melon....all pieces not huge slices lol...this was a buffet after all). Let's just say I was stuffed, but we ate early (seriously we were through by 4:30!). So I was able to get in a good IF this morning thanks to the fact that I slept through it HA!

On a more inner reflection note, I'm trying really hard to not obsess over the last 10lbs I want to lose, but it's so hard especially when I've been doing so well and nothing is coming off. I managed to squeeze out 121.4 the other day, which is my record low, but of course, the next day I had bounced back up and now after stuffing myself with crablegs I'm back to 123 ish. I want it bad, but I feel like not bad enough to cut down on my food intake. I feel cheated in a way. Everyone promises on low carb that you can eat more and not have to worry as much. Well guess what...I'm back to thinking I need to start counting calories again, which makes me angry. I don't want to have to do that if I've cut out all grains and processed sugar too! Not to mention very very little dairy due to my intolerance. I can tolerate about 1/2 ounce worth of sharp cheddar on my burgers twice a week....that's about it.

Anyways that's life for now.

Boy am I sick....if anyone tells you to guzzle olive oil please don't do it. Granted I didn't guzzle it, but I carelessly put about 1/4 cup on my salad yesterday for lunch. I didn't think it would hurt...I WAS WRONG. I've been in the bathroom ever since and feel miserable. This really isn't good for me because of my IBS. Things get unbalanced easily. I'm taking probiotics to keep my gut balanced since I'm losing a lot of food/fluid.

And for some reason because I read that coconut oil helps these situations I sat down last night and had 4 tbsp of coconut butter by artisana mixed with some dark chocolate powder and a few berries. STUPID! First thing this morning I was up and running again...literally...ha ha I kid.

So then of course I come back to my post on eating more fat to lose more fat only to find the answer to my problems staring me in the face....I can't burn my fat if I give my body enough fat to live on. DOH! That makes so much sense. I've been shoving fat down left and right, and my body is refusing to burn my fat because it's got plenty...I haven't been stingy afterall, so why should it burn mine when its got butter/bacon grease/olive oil, etc. Not anymore it don't. My body is about to get served!

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I would take care not to cut down your fat excessively. But yeah, "shoving fat down left and right" is probably overdoing it. Get your fat mainly from protein sources and then eat veggies, with added fat as needed for flavor (salad dressing, etc). Perhaps you've been overeating fat, but try not to swing too far to the other extreme.

I know you hate counting calories, but entering your meals into a calculator like cronometer is instructive and can help you find the right balance. My method is to write down my food intake for the day, and then at the end tally it up on the cronometer to see where I came in on fat/carb/protein and micronutrients. That way it's less "counting calories" - which implies minute by minute budgeting, and more just monitoring after the fact. If one day is out of whack, then you can make adjustments the next day.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    I would take care not to cut down your fat excessively. But yeah, "shoving fat down left and right" is probably overdoing it. Get your fat mainly from protein sources and then eat veggies, with added fat as needed for flavor (salad dressing, etc). Perhaps you've been overeating fat, but try not to swing too far to the other extreme.

I know you hate counting calories, but entering your meals into a calculator like cronometer is instructive and can help you find the right balance. My method is to write down my food intake for the day, and then at the end tally it up on the cronometer to see where I came in on fat/carb/protein and micronutrients. That way it's less "counting calories" - which implies minute by minute budgeting, and more just monitoring after the fact. If one day is out of whack, then you can make adjustments the next day.
    Yeah I've gone back to eating more like I did in the beginning, which I did have a ton of success with....6 lbs. I cut back on the dairy and am back to semi measuring my fats just to not overdo it.

I played around with that Cronometer...it's pretty neat. Better than most "calorie counters" I've seen. The problem is I eat out a lot, so I really don't know everything that's going into my food. It would be a rough rough estimate. I might still use it for the weekends, though, when I don't eat out as much....just to give me an idea. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast