Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training with a Weight Vest page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Training with a Weight Vest

Primal Fuel
    Weight Vest Training is the topic on my blog today. As always, your comments are appreciated. Enjoy!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    +1 for the "don't get overzealous." It's important to remember that even if the muscles are willing and ready, the tendons and ligaments might need some more adjustment time. My golfer's elbow reminds me of that from adding too much weight to my pullups.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Good point, Abu. Thanks for your feedback!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I love my weighted vest, I try to wear it with as many workouts that it's feasible for. Sometimes you just have use common sense and know that it's probably not the best choice, but I think overall weighted vests can have quite a bit of positive effect for building additional reps into body weight exercises.

I would never wear a vest during a Fran, because I feel like that is just asking for trouble, but popping a vest on for Murph is a great way to work on building overall endurance.

edit: do you recommend any vests? My cheapo is starting to tear at the shoulders.

TimBell is offline Senior Member
    Great vid and article Al, I love adding extra weight to my body weight exercises. And for those of you who can't afford a weight vest just yet or if you're still waiting to pick one up check out this video on how to use a book bag as a weight vest for FREE!

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Al, you read my mind! I was asking about weighted vests + SimpleFit last week, I think. Great video, as always, but just one thing I've noticed about your vids: you need to normalize down the volume of the intro and any music played (or up the volume when you're talking). There's a huge disparity there between the volume of music playing and you speaking.

Weighted vests seem to be fairly expensive (for me at this point in time). I'm considering getting a used life-jacket, tearing the foam out and just adding lead or something. Anyone jury-rigged something like that [successfully]?
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    where does one GET a weighted vest.?

I've been wanting one, not for weight work yet, but for walking.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Al, you read my mind! I was asking about weighted vests + SimpleFit last week, I think. Great video, as always, but just one thing I've noticed about your vids: you need to normalize down the volume of the intro and any music played (or up the volume when you're talking). There's a huge disparity there between the volume of music playing and you speaking.

Weighted vests seem to be fairly expensive (for me at this point in time). I'm considering getting a used life-jacket, tearing the foam out and just adding lead or something. Anyone jury-rigged something like that [successfully]?
    There used to be a guy who walked in our park with a back pack loaded with rocks. Of course the weight is distributed a bit differently than with a vest.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I have found vests work much better than rigged contraptions, unless you are specifically trying to emulate training as an army grunt.

A well balanced vest makes it very easy to do anything from pullups to situps and running with very little shifting or discomfort, where as anything you make on your own is most likely not gonna be anywhere that static.

Of course, if you are super handy and can sew than feel free to rock it.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Well, I was thinking of totally pimping it out and going for a Patrick and the Amazing Technicolor Weight Vest kinda deal. . . .
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast