Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primal smoothie recipes page

Hilde is offline Member

primal smoothie recipes

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone had any primal smoothie recipes without coconut milk/oil, milk/dairy, banana and other high carb/sugar fruits? Normally i just use berries, rice proteinpowder and walnut oil, but it gets kind of boring and the walnut oil has to much omega 6, so any advise would be nice!

jedikelly is offline Member
    no coconut milk? i got nothin then

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Same here - why no coconut milk?
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Hilde is offline Member
    The last couple of times I used coconut milk i got nauseas and when I tried with coconut oil I got really bad stomach pains and felt really bad. I really liked using coconut milk, but think I have to stay away from it. At least for a while.

jedikelly is offline Member
    Ok, I can think now (i have had coffee) --- try water, avocado, berries and protein powder - you won't be able to taste the avocado

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    OP, all my smoothie recipes contain coconut milk, but only a quarter can. I started using coconut milk for hot chocolate I liked it so much. I used half a can in the first one and got the stomach pains you describe. Maybe I wasn't used to that much fat in one go, I don't know. But I'm fine with having 1/4 - 1/3 of a can at a time. No symptoms at all.

Why don't you open a can, freeze most of it in ice cube trays, and just use a sixth or seventh of it in a smoothie and see if you can handle it. Just a bit of it will really improve a smoothie, imo. Then build it up slowly until you can have more.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    You could try So Delicious (brand name) coconut milk. It is diluted to the consistency of regular milk. I think it's only 50 calories a cup, so can't have too much fat.

I didn't know wth I was doing when I started primal, and stocked up on this (and still use it in smoothies) before I figured out the canned stuff was the good stuff (and thriftier overall).

It's not the perfect stuff but it's good for smoothies IMO. My favorite combo (when I'm not on a DONN): about a cup of coconut milk, one avocado, about half a scoop of whey/protein powder, and 3-5 frozen strawberries (the ones from Costco are huge). If I'm really feeling protein deprived I would add an egg.

Actually that is a dessert for me, but I have about the lowest sweets tolerance of anyone I know. If you leave out either the powder or cut way back on the berries (or use wild blueberries (also frozen from Costco) which are much less sweet than the usual), and/or add almond butter, it's more breakfast-y.

PS - You can also make smoothies with greens, e.g. spinach or whatever you have. Some people stick them in the freezer for a bit before putting them into a shake. If you're going for a more savory smoothie, I would definitely think about eggs, maybe yams/sweet potato, even bacon grease!

Good luck!
    Last edited by beachrat; 03-10-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Hilde is offline Member
    Thanks for all the ideas! Think I'm gonna try with the avocado tomorrow. How much do you use? Think I'm gonna wait a little with the coconut milk, but will try the icecube thing, really clever. I tried to make a green smoothie the other day, but it tasted horrible. Any recipes?

LowCarbPrincess is offline Junior Member
    Try using nuts with water... makes it creamy and it's dairy free. Like cashew nut butter and frozen strawberries... deluxe!
    Nut milks are dairy free as they consist of just blended up nuts with water.
    Visit my blog @ http://lowcarb.amethystangel.net - I am the Low Carb Princess

Currently madly in love with my Vitamix...

liseybug is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Big bunch of Spinach
    frozen mango chunks
    frozen pinapple chunks
    vanilla protein powder
    ice and water for consistency
    Blend and enjoy!
    Disgusting lime green color but really yummy.
    Fun Work, Hard Play

www.tightform.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast