Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal "Gumbo" Stir-Fry page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Primal "Gumbo" Stir-Fry

Primal Fuel
    Primal "Gumbo" Stir-Fry

Ingredients
    4 gluten free andouille sausage (I bought at Whole Foods.)
    1/2 onion, diced
    6 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
    1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
    3 stalks of celery, diced
    A sprinkle of thyme
    Dash of cayenne pepper
    EVOO (olive oil)
    4 slices of bacon (or more if you like)
    1 package okra (or fresh if you can get it. Sliced.) Allow to thaw some.
    If you give okra a quick stir-fry, it will not get slimy. Honest.
    (Optional) Some shrimp (Housemate has gout. I could not use.)

Directions
    Fry bacon until crisp. Remove.
    Saute onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery, cayenne and thyme in bacon fat. Remove.
    Saute okra. Add EVOO as needed.

Serve with greens. I used kale. Splash on balsamic vinegar.
    Crumble bacon on both stir-fry and greens.
    I also had a small yam. (I had had a hard workout. Well, also it was Fat Tuesday!)
    Washed down with a glass of merlot.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 03-09-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    God I miss traditional gumbo so bad. I am going to have to try this one. I just can't see how it would be the same without the roux, but I will try anything at this point. Think I would have to use some "rice" fried in bacon grease for it though.

Now if I could only find something to replace red beans and rice....

You may be able to make a roux from something primal. Sort of sacrilegious though. I also would have some fried rice for a once in a while 20%. Or maybe by "rice" you mean cauliflower. i love cauliflower, but it is not rice.

Soaked red beans and white rice - also a once in a while 20%.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Roule!!

This Gulf Coaster (and Acadian) blesses you... as do all the Primal Breauxs, Fontenots, and Thibodeauxs.

I've got a dirty rice recipe, if anyone is interested. (It's just the classic dirty rice recipe subbed with cauli rice.) I was supposed to make it for Fat Tuesday, but time got away from me.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I dare not even attempt to primalize roux. My Acadian grandmother and her mother before her would come down and haunt my ass until the end of time.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Roule!!

This Gulf Coaster (and Acadian) blesses you... as do all the Primal Breauxs, Fontenots, and Thibodeauxs.

I've got a dirty rice recipe, if anyone is interested. (It's just the classic dirty rice recipe subbed with cauli rice.) I was supposed to make it for Fat Tuesday, but time got away from me.
    I'm game for the dirty rice recipe.

I am still trying to figure out how the hell one could make a primal roux though. Coconut oil and what? LOL

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Bless you, Hedonist. Though now this means I have to make the trek to Whole Paycheck to get some gluten-free andouille.

The last time I ate gumbo I got so freakin sick...I didn't realize until afterwards that the sauce was a roux. Silly me.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Probably other places to get gluten-free andouille.

If you are going to 20% on red beans and rice, you might consider the Eden Foods version. Traditionally soaked beans. BPA-free cans. Rice from Lundberg Farms, who provide an important stepping stone in the Pacific Flyway. All organic. I haven't tried so can't tell you how they taste.
    Ancestral Health Info

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    I'm game for the dirty rice recipe.

I am still trying to figure out how the hell one could make a primal roux though. Coconut oil and what? LOL
    Arrowroot or tapioca starch.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat it anymore, but I used to like the Eden Foods rice things. These days, I save my rare rice indulgence for sushi.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast