Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow cooker recommendation? page

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've finally decided to get a slow cooker/crock pot. Looking to spend $50 or less. Would welcome comments about your good and bad experiences with particular brands/models.

Thank you!!

~Maria

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

They are mostly commodity items, one's about the same as the next, exceptions noted below. Go to Goodwill, under $10, usually half that.

I picked up an old 1950's Sunbeam slow cooker/deep fat fryer for $7 a few years ago. The crock is removable so that you can wash it well w/o getting the electrics wet. It has adjustable temperature - probably the best thing about it - so I can make yogurt, slow cook a pork roast, or crank it up for frying.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I just bought one called "Stay or Go" by Hamilton Beach. It was around $40 or $50 from Target. I've used it about twice in the last two weeks, both times with excellent results. What I like about this one is it is oval and shallow instead of round a deep, so I can fit larger cuts of meat in it.

Read through a Consumer Reports the other day and this particular slow cooker was actually listed as their #3 choice, lucky me.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll def be putting the Stay or Go on my short list.

Grok on!

~Maria

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

Any that are American made?

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

I also have the Hamilton Beach and it works very well. Also recommend crock pot liners if you don't like scrubbing crock pots.

At this moment I have a whole chicken in mine. Put about 5 Tbsp coconut oil in bottom, set chicken on top, sprinkled with pepper and sea salt and turned it on. My first chicken, it looks fantastic so far!

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Figured I would follow up on my previous post above. My chicken was about 4 pounds. Put the Hamilton Beach on High for 2.5 hours, then down to low for the final 4.5 hours. Chicken came out perfect and delicious!

After eating my favorite parts (legs, thighs, wings), I stripped the breasts and other remaining meat off the bones. Put it in a container and then dumped all of the juice (coconut oil, water and chicken oil) on top.

This morning I heated it all up and it was one of the most delicious stews I've ever had. I didn't have time but you could add whatever else you wanted to add variety. I just enjoyed the fat and chicken. Will definitely be doing this more often...3-4 entire meals with almost no work!

matt.kloepfer Guest

I bought a Hamilton Beach crockpot on craigslist for $5. Works great.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Def go used... I am under the assumption that crock pots, microwaves and cast iron pans all have about 49876907 lives. Just try to find one that you can remove the ceramic part from the heater part for cleaning. Trust me.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

YOu can still clean the combined units, just don't immerse. A quick, emphasize quick, rinse is OK. There's nothing in there except a switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast