Thread: Feet hurt when wearing flats page

KSmi is offline Junior Member

Feet hurt when wearing flats

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

I am Karen. I have the weirdest feet ever. Well, may be not. lol.

Anyway, I am more comfortable wearing heels than flats coz I get painful feet when I wear the latter. I can wear flats/slippers at home. However, the arch of my feet hurt if I wear flats during shopping sprees. I get really cranky when my feet start to hurt--to the point that my great boyfriend suffers my "ire". Anyone experience this?

Also, does health insurance cover podiatry costs? I am looking for a health care provider and I'd be really grateful if you can point me to the right direction. The site I found Medibank Private - choose medibank private for health cover and travel insurance is really helpful. But I am not sure if they can help me with my feet problem. Plus, I don't think I can manage their costs at this time.

Would you guys have other recommendations?

Thank you so much!

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about the insurance thing.. but a great place to start with your feet is shoe in-soles! I have the same issues, and it has helped bounds

EDIT: Not sure if that is the most primal suggestion, but it feels much better and my back is no longer aching from flats. Maybe Vibrams? I'm sure others will chime in abut Vibrams, they're not quite my thing.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    From the link, I guess you are in Australia. Don't know anything about insurance there. Podiatrists are medical doctors. I would think almost all insurance would cover.

It takes time to adjust to flat shoes or going barefoot. Up to a year.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

tpsky is offline Junior Member
    Not sure about the insurance thing.. but a great place to start with your feet is shoe in-soles! I have the same issues, and it has helped bounds

EDIT: Not sure if that is the most primal suggestion, but it feels much better and my back is no longer aching from flats. Maybe Vibrams? I'm sure others will chime in abut Vibrams, they're not quite my thing.

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Hi
    I have not used these guys but it might be a good place to start searching for your insurance.
    Private Health Insurance - iSelect

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    If you have ever done the research on the impact that wearing heels has on your hips and lower back, you would learn to adjust. There was something on the news about 6 months ago talking about women having to get the balls of their feet injected with silicon to rebuild the pads due to chronic pressure from high heels. Please try and adjust. Wear the insoles, wear running shoes, wear anything but heels.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like achilles tendon shortening. The reason heels are more comfortable is the elevation takes the tension off the achilles. When you were flats the tendon shortens and transfers stress to the plantar fascia and strains the arch. Stretching excersizes is the best treatment for this. You'll need to stretch the gastroc and solius muscles of the calf. The key to success is the length of time you hold the stretch, 90sec per excersize and per leg. Following this regime you should feel a difference in 2wks.

Usually Podiatry is covered but if they prescribe orthotics or other appliances they are not

KSmi is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you all for the info. I'm learning so much from you guys! Been wearing shoes slightly lower than what I would normally wear. So far so good. Hopefully, I can wear slippers outside the house like everyone else--no pains whatsoever.

Will look into wearing insoles, too! I'd do anything to lessen the pain. I'm quite fond of my feet )

Lastly, thanks for the link on the insurance thing. Will also check that out!

Cheers everyone!