Thread: Dumbbells for dummies page

bedouin is offline Member

Dumbbells for dummies

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hi guys!

I got a 20kg dumbbell set as a gift, and having built up some strength doing simple fit and PB LHT- im ready to give them a go.

I would love you guys to recommend a routine for me to get started- ive already checked out some websites for form, but have no idea how to determine how many sets/ reps or even what to do.

My goal is building muscle- im 29 & female, and strong.

Thanks grokstars!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I'd really recommend getting a copy of "The New Rules of Lifting For Women" by Lou Schuler and some other people. Ignore the nutrition section but the workouts are great and the pictures are totally sufficient for demonstrating form. You may end up finding you need more than just dumbbells - and 20 kg (45 lbs?) will quickly be too light for decent squats & deadlifts, but you can adapt and adjust and the book will help you do that. (ie you can do single-leg deadlifts & squats). Are your weights adjustable? (Like, can you load them to less than 20 kg?) Because I don't think you'll be wanting to do a 20 kg shoulder press right off the bat...

bedouin is offline Member
    spughy, thanks for that! they are adjustable, with each one weighing max 10kg. im so excited to get going- but had no clue how to start! ive had a shoulder reconstruction, so dont want to get into any bad habits or get hurt.

im grabbing the book you recommended now- FYI anyone who is interested:
    Amazon.com: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess (9781583333396): Lou Schuler, M.S., Cassandra Forsythe, Alwyn Cosgrove: Books