Thread: Running a 5 K in a few weeks page

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member

Talking Running a 5 K in a few weeks

Shop Now
    Some friends at my school are putting on a 5K benefit fun run. I'm in pretty decent shape and want to do it but up until today hadn't run more than sprints since November. I'm slow, but I've run cross country before. I'm planning on going for slow, moderate distance (2-4 mi), sustainable runs twice a week and then throw in some sprints on the weekend. I already have vibrams and do all my running in those. I can easily jog 5K (I did it today) without stopping but I'm pretty slow (8-9min miles) so with that said I want to do my best when i go run as well as have fun.
    Is there anything I'm leaving out of my "training program?" Or any suggestions you beast primal athletes have to help me get ready? Thanks!

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Wow - if you think 8min miles are slow then there's nothing that I can say to help. I dream of 8min miles (of course, I'm 45, hypothyroid, and menopausal - does that stuff slow you down?). Anyway, I would suggest you build up and do a couple of long easy runs at 5 miles to help build some endurance, incorporate some hill work, in addition to your sprint work, and make sure you do a tempo run each week (at the pace you want to do your 5k at). Good luck!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Just do sprints once or twice a week - it sounds like you're already pretty decent and it's just a fun run so just have fun!

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    I should have specified: 8-9 min miles are my race pace when I'm in shape. I haven't timed a run recently (since I usually end up pushing it to hard if I do) so I may be running 10-12min miles currently... not sure. Hill sprints are an excellent idea, I'll try to fit some in Friday Thanks for the advice!