Thread: Heat forms potentially harmful substance in high-fructose corn syrup page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

This is your ketchup over a hot steak
    [quote]

The scientists measured levels of HMF in HFCS products from different manufacturers over a period of 35 days at different temperatures. As temperatures rose, levels of HMF increased steadily. Levels jumped dramatically at about 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
    </blockquote>

http://tinyurl.com/ykhf7hr

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

That story implies that it&#39;s the fructose that&#39;s responsible......which of course is in sugar sweetened products, too.

And anyway, ketchup on a steak????? A pox on you!

HFCS also contains levels of Aluminum.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

SS would never disgrace a beautiful piece of meat like that I do like a little homemade ketchup (no sugar of course) with a meat loaf though!

I hate HFCS like fire, it just boggles my mind when I look at labels and it&#39;s still in everything. Which is why I generally buy food without labels. Works like a charm.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

PrimalCon New York

Yes, ketchup on meat loaf works. Alternatively, old fashioned "chili sauce." Ketchup with bits of pepper and onions. I&#39;m sure its a vector for HFCS nowadays.

HFCS is like a virus. It&#39;s hard to evade. Before I kicked wheat to the side, I did find one or two breads w/o it. It seems that Pepperidge Farms was a nation brand that hadn&#39;t gone to The Dark Side as of a couple of years ago.