Thread: Coconut milk yogurt page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

Coconut milk yogurt

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has anyone tried to culture coconut milk to make yogurt?
    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it would work very well, as without the sugar of regular milk there is nothing for the bacteria/yeast to feed on.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    I just picked up a carton of cultured coconut milk "yogurt" at Whole Foods yesterday I dunno how they did it, but I plan to use it in a shake tomorrow!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    What is the nutritional info on that bad boy?

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    I've done home made stuff and added dessicated coconut and honey to the mix.

That was close enough for me.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk is not milk. It is not a dairy product. You cannot make coconut cheese; you cannot make coconut yogurt. There is no casein in it.

You can make coconut "yogurt", but it will not be coconut yogurt. In the same way that almond "milk" and soy "milk" are not milk.

But that's no reason not to try it anyway. Here's a recipe for coconut "yogurt" that seems pretty popular.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Coconut milk is not milk. It is not a dairy product. You cannot make coconut cheese; you cannot make coconut yogurt. There is no casein in it.

You can make coconut "yogurt", but it will not be coconut yogurt. In the same way that almond "milk" and soy "milk" are not milk.

But that's no reason not to try it anyway. Here's a recipe for coconut "yogurt" that seems pretty popular.
    I realize that coconut milk is not 'milk'. But soy and almond can be cultured. I've had soygurt (YUCK!!!). In texture it was pretty darn close to yogurt but it tasted outlandish and disgusting. I figured if it could be done with soy, it might be do-able with coconut given the right ingredients and method. I realize it won't be the same animal, but something close would be just fine with me.
    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

I've read the supplied link from carlh and I think I'll try it. I have a yogurt maker, so shouldn't be a problem. Seems like it's the same process as making dairy yogurt. I'll tap my mom and get some less sour cultures from Germany before I try though. The starters available here can end up making pretty acidic end product. I'll post how it works out. Coconut seems to be a very primal food, lots of people here use it, surprised not more people have tried making 'yogurt' from coconut 'milk'.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Here's the site with nutritional info:

Turtle Mountain - So Delicious&#8482 Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt - 6 oz cup - Plain

You have to scroll over the "ingredients and nutrition" on the right side and you'll get a popup of the info.