Thread: Plateau.. page

Spydermonkey is offline Junior Member

Wink Plateau..

I've been Primal now for approx 1 year.... basically cut out everything non-primal except for the occasional beer... I've been doing crossfit 3-4 times/ week, mountain biking and rock climbing as well... I've seen a huge differnece in my physical appearance... ( went from above 250lbs - 215lbs) and went from being on cholesterol and blood pressure medication to now not being on anything...

these by themselves are great accomplishments for me... though now I was wondering if there was anyway to break this plateau of 215lbs... I know i've been continuously gaining muscle and getting stronger so it might not be possible to much more... but there is still a significant portion of my body that is fat ( body fat measuring to 15-17% )....

thanks

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I would be so happy if I hit that plateau! :-) Relax and see what happens in time.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    First, you have to see that you are in fact in a plateau. And that takes time. Not hours. Not days. Not weeks. The "official" definition of hitting a plateau is one month of no change in weight. One month. Have you been at 215 for 1 month solid?
    If so, then you are in fact in a plateau...( congratulations...I know you are excited!).

What I would do...based on the posts I've seen on board here from others that have successfully worked through their plateaus(and what I plan to do when I hit mine!)...is first really assess my diet. Am I cheating anywhere? Are there problem foods/drinks that I know I shouldnt eat that I am eating. Be honest with yourself. If not, then I would move on to quantity. Have I been eating more/too much? No? Ok...well, then apparently I (you) have found a weight that your body feels comfortable at AND wants you to weigh. So, how do you break through this plateau when you are apparently fighting your own body? Change it up! As in your routine. Apparently your body has gotten used to the calories you are eating AND the exercises you are doing. So, its time to trick it again into giving up those last pounds of body fat. Change your excercise intensity, frequency, weight etc. And change your calories. Now, this is the tough one....people break through plateaus by either eating less calories or more calories (I know, its counter intuitive to think eating more will break it) depending on their situations (i.e. genetics, hormonal situation, environment). You are just going to have to experiment to find what works for you. One of them will work though...if you are persistent. And as the hedonist said...be patient. You've gotten this far...its just now that the game is changing. Ramp up your game too...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

One other thing...a body fat of 15-17% is on the low side of normal (i.e. more athletic) for average men. You have done really well. Now, you need to ramp up your game to get down to 10% or below...

Do you weight lift at all?

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Are you still consuming dairy? I hit a hard plateu about three months ago and when I dropped all dairy, the weight started to drop again. Have you actually tracked a few days of eating? A lot of peole who plateu find that when they track their food for a few days they see that what they thought was 100-150g of carbs per day was more like 200-250.

Hmmmm.... thanks for the help guys...
    i've been consistently 215lbs for 3-4 months... I do lift weights... i'll check into the cutting or increasing calories here and see if I can't find something that works out.... I've been pretty consistent about the amount of carbs i've been taking in, though in retrospect it may have been a little too much...

i'll have to go back and re-evaluate my diet and see what changes i'm going to need to make in order for it to work...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spydermonkey View Post
    Hmmmm.... thanks for the help guys...
    i've been consistently 215lbs for 3-4 months... I do lift weights... i'll check into the cutting or increasing calories here and see if I can't find something that works out.... I've been pretty consistent about the amount of carbs i've been taking in, though in retrospect it may have been a little too much...

i'll have to go back and re-evaluate my diet and see what changes i'm going to need to make in order for it to work...

thanks

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I may be coming to you for help in a few months when I stall....!!!!

daveyace is offline Member
    first of all i'd like to say well done on your progress but if you've hit a sticking point, yes you may just be gaining muscle but you could try shocking your body into doing more work in your exercise by doing drills like hill sprints and jump squats and exercises that really get you breathing hard. And also ask yourself do you really want to lose weight or do you just want to look good? you may feel you look better at the weight you are but just with less fat and keep the muscle
    Last edited by daveyace; 03-12-2011 at 09:21 AM.

i do crossfit for working out so i'm pretty much shocking my system in that regard at least 3-4 times a week... the rest of the time i'm either climbing, mountain biking or doing yoga...
    I would like to lose a little more fat and gain some more muscle...i'm not really about looking good... rather be fitter and more functional... the result of these things is naturally to look good... ( in my opinion)...

thanks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    so i've been keeping a food log over the past two days... and I guess I have been off with the carb counting... i'm ranging around 130gm/ day. i'm working on cutting out more... just not sure where.... everything i've had is pretty darn primal...