Thread: Yikes! Athletes be wary. page

Digby is offline Senior Member

Yikes! Athletes be wary.

This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote: "But the emerging science does suggest that there may be a threshold of distance, intensity or duration beyond which exercise can have undesirable effects."

And that's the $64,000 question. Most stressors are good for you in small amounts, neutral in moderate amounts, and toxic in large amounts. Defining the ranges is crucial. They may well vary from person to person because of genetics, training, and diet. My guess is that PBF errs on the side of not enough exercise rather than too much, but then I did 2-5 hours per day of chronic cardio 6 days a week from age 9 to age 19, so I'm probably biased.

Gordo

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I love the way they classify athletes as being in the national or olympic team for rowing or distance running - why not test some real athletes?

Will Murphy is offline Junior Member
    What do you mean? Why do you not regard those subjects as "real athletes"?

I would be interested in how the results would look if they included folks in other sports, and at different levels.

bilgeh2o is offline Junior Member
    I think I read a similar study a few months ago. It involved a long term study of Norwegian marathon skiers. The results were about the same as the NYT article.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    It seemed like a reasonable control group to me. For years it was sort of general knowledge that people who did too much (relative, I know) and not enough or any had similar life expectancy. There was some more general study done in the 80s, if memory serves, that simply looked at the ages of premier athletes at death which look about the same as for sedentary people.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Isnt this exactly what Mark says? Those people were either ultra-chronic cardio'ers (100 marathons plus - AFAIK Mark recommends doing 2 in your whole lifetime - if you must) or rowers/runner that were competing on a national level. I believe it is rather well established that in order to be internationally competitive you must do some rather harsh things to your body that are not generally considered healthy...

gordo is offline Senior Member
    What about the Stanford study? I guess if the reporter had mentioned it, he wouldn't have had an article.

Arch Intern Med -- Reduced Disability and Mortality Among Aging Runners: A 21-Year Longitudinal Study, Aug 11/25, 2008, Chakravarty et al. 168 (15): 1638

So maybe your heart gets scarred, but you live longer and have fewer disabilities. Sounds like a fair trade to me ...

Gordo

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Most stressors are good for you in small amounts, neutral in moderate amounts, and toxic in large amounts. Defining the ranges is crucial. They may well vary from person to person because of genetics, training, and diet.
    I once drank some Ajax cleaner when I was younger (3 years old). My grandfather ended up calling me Ajax for a few months after that.

js290 is offline Senior Member