Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Trip Coming Up - Questions on Diet and Fitness page

onawave is offline Junior Member

Cool Surf Trip Coming Up - Questions on Diet and Fitness

Hi all,

I have a two week surf trip coming up to quite a remote place in Indonesia. Ill be on a boat for two weeks, and then back to land.

For training ive basically been doing crossfit, swimming and surfing when the surf has been on. While also trying to complement that with stretching. Onto the questions:

1. On the boat I think there will be a fair bit of rice in what is served. Should I try to avoid this for the majority of the trip and stick to the Paleo / Grok way of eating?
    2. Whilst on the boat, should I be thinking about doing any other types of exercise? Im figuring on taking a foam roller with me to help me stretch out. Things that I might of been thinking of is stuff like planks, and chin ups to keep up the muscle use.
    3. Is there anything else you guys can recommend for training for a trip like this where there will be a lot of surfing?

Thanks in advance.

oaw

peril is offline Senior Member
    Except for nasi goreng, the rice will usually be served on the side, so easy to avoid. Indonesian food is mostly primal, though there is some use of peanuts. Frankly, I'd say just enjoy the food and leave some rice on the plate - it is polite in Asia not to eat everything as it tells the host they have given you enough. What better way to do it than leave some rice. There will be a little palm sugar or tamarind pulp in some curries, but not enough to get excited about.

BTW, most of the satay you get is made with coconut mik, not peanuts, so feel free to enjoy them. I love Indonesian food. Enjoy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

man i love nasi goreng too.

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Hard to go past sate ayam

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i agree. eat what you need to, and don't worry about a little rice over two weeks. also, if you'll be surfing and swimming a lot, then don't worry about any other exercise unless you want to do it. and then, just do what you want. this is PLAY and REST so *enjoy* it.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    You will have a great trip over their its a magic place and the surf is fantastic, I didi a two month trip travelling overland thru indo about 10 years ago.

I wouldnt worry about what you eat or drink as you should be in the water surfing 4-6 hours a day, when I did my trip I ate a huge amount of food and drank plenty of bintans (beer) and still dropped weight. The hot climate, local food and plenty of water time was great for the body and soul. I didnt do a boat trip but there was plenty of fresh chicken, fish, meat and veggies on offer on the road.

Pre trip fitness your onto it, surf as much as you can and swim, short brust high intensity training would be good for streching those lungs for the scramble to the horizon to beat the closeout sets.

Enjoy your trip
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions on any supplements I should be taking over? Im thinking magnesium, possibly some fish oil. Any suggestions?

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    I would not worry, we holiday in Bali for upto two weeks at a time and never bother with supps.
    You may want to take some Imodium or charcoal tablets to help with an upset tummy. Have you been before?

yeah ive been a number of times. ill be taking some probitoics, and the rest that u suggest. i just really want to optimise my surf time tho....

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Take a waterproof stuff-sack, fill it with sand and follow our workouts on Sandbag Fitness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast