Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cod liver oil vs. beef liver powder page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Cod liver oil vs. beef liver powder

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to do some research on this but I wanted to post it here too since guys are just so smart anyways, I take cod liver oil as my only supplement, and I was reading Mark's post where he suggests beef liver powder and went to read about that and was thinking of buying it. I was just wondering if it's necessary to take both? Someone pointed this out to me since they're both liver, but I figured the nutritional profiles would be very different since one is cod and one is beef.

Gonna go look it up, but like I said you guys are smart...plus I'm bored at work so now I get to talk to people lol

I saw that the beef liver is high in B6 but low in B12--I thought it was supposed to have a lot of B12?? And this is totally failing at getting some discussion going lol.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I take both cod liver oil and liver powder. The liver powder seems to benefit people with anemia, even though it's not (per serving) really high in iron or B12. It could be that it's more of a synergistic effect between two and the fact that they happen to be in highly absorbed forms?

Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I take both cod liver oil and liver powder. The liver powder seems to benefit people with anemia, even though it's not (per serving) really high in iron or B12. It could be that it's more of a synergistic effect between two and the fact that they happen to be in highly absorbed forms?
    Hmmm, perhaps. I just really that its supposed to help with energy levels a lot.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I don't know enough about this to do anything actually useful like give you numbers, but it's possible to have too much pre-formed Vitamin A - the kind you get in liver. Maybe watch your totals if you take both?

(Come to think of it... this week I've started taking fermented cod liver oil - yuck - and also had faggots (mostly pork liver) for lunch and snacked on duck liver pate. Oops. Never mind. Duck liver pate, sealed with a thick 'lid' of rich yellow butter... ohgodyum.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I don't know enough about this to do anything actually useful like give you numbers, but it's possible to have too much pre-formed Vitamin A - the kind you get in liver. Maybe watch your totals if you take both?

(Come to think of it... this week I've started taking fermented cod liver oil - yuck - and also had faggots (mostly pork liver) for lunch and snacked on duck liver pate. Oops. Never mind. Duck liver pate, sealed with a thick 'lid' of rich yellow butter... ohgodyum.)
    You had faggots for lunch??

Best thing I've heard all day

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    Damn. You learn something everyday now don't you. Where have I been? Under a Grok rock?
    Liver powder?? OK, I gotta get out more or something. Someone link me up with the good stuff
    will you already?

And where are are these good looking women coming from lately?
    The primal babes are looking sooo good.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    You had faggots for lunch??

Best thing I've heard all day
    Oh yes. One of my favourite things to ask for really loudly at the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Keithallenlaw View Post
    Damn. You learn something everyday now don't you. Where have I been? Under a Grok rock?
    Liver powder?? OK, I gotta get out more or something. Someone link me up with the good stuff
    will you already?

And where are are these good looking women coming from lately?
    The primal babes are looking sooo good.
    Amazon.com: Now Foods Liver Powder, 12-Ounce: RED TAG sale

And primal = sexiness, bro

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Why even take beef liver? Liver has vitamin D, but cod liver oil should take care of that (or being outside or just Vit D as a supplement, i just switched to cod liver oil myself and it has plenty vit D.) It is my understanding that, unless you have some sort of problem like an auto-immune issue, you don't need any more supplements aside from fish oil, vit D, and magnesium and you should be eating the rest. Although the vit B's do sound tempting, but perhaps you are already getting sufficient amounts? Mark never said that we need the extra vitaman B.

You know your body better than me (unless i'm some sort of creeper, lol) and i'm sure you will make a wise decision depending on your needs, just think it through before you start throwing extra stuff into your body. Too much of anything is bad, it could really strain certain metabolic pathways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast