Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cod liver oil vs. beef liver powder page 2

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBerserker View Post
    You know your body better than me (unless i'm some sort of creeper, lol) and i'm sure you will make a wise decision depending on your needs, just think it through before you start throwing extra stuff into your body. Too much of anything is bad, it could really strain certain metabolic pathways.
    Lol! Yeah I'm not a fan of supplements, I just kept reading great stuff about it. I had thought it was higher in B12...I'm sensitive to excess B6, I had an incident where I had too much and got literally paralyzed in my limbs while driving...not good. But it was from some sort of energy drink as opposed to something like liver. The cod liver oil is better in actual oil form as opposed to a capsule, correct? I have the capsules, I got the wrong thing when I bought it lol.

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    That it is. And thanks for the link up. Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    And primal = sexiness, bro

@ NeoBerserker

Supposedly intestinal flora manufactures b vits, if if if everything is in order and you
    haven't blown them out with heavy bouts of anti-biotics, alcohol, party drugs, or a
    SADD diet. You know the drill. Peace.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBerserker View Post
    Why even take beef liver? Liver has vitamin D, but cod liver oil should take care of that (or being outside or just Vit D as a supplement, i just switched to cod liver oil myself and it has plenty vit D.) It is my understanding that, unless you have some sort of problem like an auto-immune issue, you don't need any more supplements aside from fish oil, vit D, and magnesium and you should be eating the rest. Although the vit B's do sound tempting, but perhaps you are already getting sufficient amounts? Mark never said that we need the extra vitaman B.

It's just another way of consuming liver (which I have a hard time doing otherwise). Think of it as food, not a supplement (it's just freeze-dried and defatted). One of the most important components of the healthy diets Weston Price studied was offal/organ meats and that's why I eat liver powder. People also take liver powder because it really does give you more energy if you tend to lack energy, and for us people with thyroid and/or adrenal issues, it warms you up (we tend to have low body temps!)

I don't take liver powder for the D, I take it for the overall nutrition. I require higher doses of D than either liver powder or cod liver oil contains (I have an autoimmune condition). I do take both cod liver oil and liver powder for the Vit. A, though. People with thyroid problems (I have Hashimoto's) usually have problems converting beta carotene to A. You also need some pre-formed A if you're on higher doses of D.

As far as not needing supplements, it's all about your nutrient status to begin with. Many people might need some extra supplements for awhile to get their levels back to normal and then they can maintain those levels through diet. It's very individual. I do agree that people shouldn't go overboard with the supplements, though the amount of B vitamins in liver powder is hardly high enough to be of any concern.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Lol! Yeah I'm not a fan of supplements, I just kept reading great stuff about it. I had thought it was higher in B12...I'm sensitive to excess B6, I had an incident where I had too much and got literally paralyzed in my limbs while driving...not good. But it was from some sort of energy drink as opposed to something like liver. The cod liver oil is better in actual oil form as opposed to a capsule, correct? I have the capsules, I got the wrong thing when I bought it lol.
    I'd be interested in what you ultimately end up doing. I myself do not have much interest in taking beef liver, but im thinking maybe for my girlfriend because the vitamin B might do here some good (she's anemic, not sure why vitamin is good but i wrote it down in my notes..or maybe it was for something else.)

But its been a few days using the carlson Norwegian lemon cod liver oil and im so happy that you really can't taste it. Its cheaper than the capsules and it is made from fish liver (close enough to beef liver lol). I like think that its better than the capsules and it seems like high quality stuff if you interested. The only thing i worry about is the extra vit A. I do use the cheap capsules to supplement the oil. Like if i eat a lot of omega 6's and just to up my fish oil intake and so i don't get too much vit A. here are the stats of the cod liver oil:

Vitamin A: 850IU, Vitamin D: 400IU, VITAMIN E: 10IU, Omega-3 Fatty Acids: 1100mg, Dha: 500mg, Epa: 400mg, Ala: 40mg, 100% NORWEGIAN COD LIVER OIL: 4.5gm

darkersolace is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithallenlaw View Post
    @ NeoBerserker

Supposedly intestinal flora manufactures b vits, if if if everything is in order and you
    haven't blown them out with heavy bouts of anti-biotics, alcohol, party drugs, or a
    SADD diet. You know the drill. Peace.
    ORLY? I hadn't heard this before... could anyone be so kind as to provide links to verify this?

I absolutely ADORE liver, so I don't know that it would be a good idea for me to supplement with additional liver -- the only migraine I've ever had occurred after gorging myself on chicken pate two meals in a row (I know chicken livers can trigger migraines, though I'm not sure about other kinds of liver). I am currently taking several supplements, including probiotics, enzymes, and Omega-3s; but if there are benefits to cod liver oil that I don't get from regular fish oil perhaps I'll switch once I run though my bottle.
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

maurile is offline Senior Member
    How do you guys consume the beef liver powder — in just water, or in some kind of juice or smoothie? (I'm thinking it would be a good addition to soup as well; what do you think?)

Also, if it's been defatted, I'm guessing it should be taken soon before or after a little bit of fat (cod liver oil, coconut oil, egg yolk, butter?) to help with the absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins. Agreed?
    Last edited by maurile; 07-02-2011 at 07:23 PM.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    I asked because my packaged just arrived. After posting, I just took one heaping teaspoon (a serving is supposed to be a rounded tablespoon) in a glass of water. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it was moderately gross.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Liver kinda yuk. Heart real yummy. I mix the liver, heart, kidneys, tongue and the brain
    with equal parts of beef and talo to make sausage sticks. A real powerhouse and it's from
    grass 'finished' cows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast