Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep: Walking Contradiction? page 2

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Sleep is not rigid on primal.....if you eliminate modern lighting & distractions, not to mention work obligations I am sure you will find your natural sleep pattern. I know mine tends to be sleep 4-5ish hours wake for 1.5ish, sleep 2 ish with a long nap in the afternoon. Unfortunately not terribly friendly to the working world.

The rigid part is encouraging you to actually get restful sleep as so many do not.

The daylight driven sleep also prevents a seasonal problem for me. Did Grok really live this far north? In the winter I could not possibly sleep that much so that would be a lot of awake downtime. In the summer, I could not possibly sleep that little. I almost always need to nap in the summer because nighttime is so short
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not seeing the big contradiction. I know I've read a fair amount about naps. Sleep when you're tired, and if you wake up without an alarm you're probably getting about the right amount for you.

Great nights of sleep was the first benefit I enjoyed from primal living, and if nothing else had changed I would still be on this path for that benefit alone. Some nights I'm down for 10 hours, sometimes for 7, sometimes I'm up in the middle, sometimes I sleep all the way through. It varies. I don't worry about it. Literally it's all good.

Speaking of which, time to walk away from the glowing screen. Happy trails!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iammysticyte View Post
    . So, going with that theme, you would think that it would be good to vary the amount of sleep you get.
    In Lights Out that is the recommendation. She says to get to bed +/- 2 hours after sunset and sleep 'til dawn. In the winter months, that's a whole lot of sleep. In the summer, not so much. Underground Wellness---> Lights Out Sugar Sleep and Survival with T.S. Wiley 2/17/2011 - Sean Croxton | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Lately I've been sleeping like 3 or 4 hours. I go to bed at 10.30 pm and I wake at 2.00 am. I still continue in bed up until 6.30 or 7, but still... I'm not losing consciousness.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member

Why do I have to sleep at least seven hours EVERY NIGHT? That seems completely contradictory to the primal lifestyle, yet almost every resource that I have found says it is important. I also notice a huge difference when I get less than seven hours.

Am I the only one in this camp? Why isn't sleep variety good for us? Is it because of the artificial environment that we have created? I feel like I have the food and exercise legs of the tripod figured out, but sleep is still confounding me.
    No, you are not the only one. I mean, i sleep pretty well i think, most of the time through the night. But i also have been dwelling on the sleep aspect. For me, going to bed at the same time every night and sleeping a full 8 hrs is quite boring and knocks the spontaneous out of life a bit. Sometimes i will stay up reading until 2 in the morning. i might sleep in but if i can't then it doesn't effect me. Sometimes it's bed at 10, up at 6/7 and so on.

We do live in an artificial society though(most of us anyway), and therefore out of synch with natural cycles. I think what counts most is what you do at night. I always feel better in the morning when i have not been on the computer or watched t.v the previous night.

iammysticyte is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCOHTom View Post
    In Lights Out that is the recommendation. She says to get to bed +/- 2 hours after sunset and sleep 'til dawn. In the winter months, that's a whole lot of sleep. In the summer, not so much. Underground Wellness---> Lights Out Sugar Sleep and Survival with T.S. Wiley 2/17/2011 - Sean Croxton | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio
    Yes, listening to this is actually what got me thinking about the topic. If it were only up to me, I would go to sleep a few hours after nightfall, but that's too big of an imposition on my spouse. Add to it responsibilities and it's nearly impossible.

iammysticyte is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    No, you are not the only one. I mean, i sleep pretty well i think, most of the time through the night. But i also have been dwelling on the sleep aspect. For me, going to bed at the same time every night and sleeping a full 8 hrs is quite boring and knocks the spontaneous out of life a bit. Sometimes i will stay up reading until 2 in the morning. i might sleep in but if i can't then it doesn't effect me. Sometimes it's bed at 10, up at 6/7 and so on.

We do live in an artificial society though(most of us anyway), and therefore out of synch with natural cycles. I think what counts most is what you do at night. I always feel better in the morning when i have not been on the computer or watched t.v the previous night.
    Yup, I totally agree. I am in this kind of in between space where I yearn to unplug more frequently, but find myself drawn to technology. Whether it's listening to podcasts, going online or watching tv, it seems harder and harder to unplug.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    Yes, listening to this is actually what got me thinking about the topic. If it were only up to me, I would eat primally, but that's too big of an imposition on my spouse. Add to it the cost of grassfed meat and it's nearly impossible
    I'm just saying if you want to change your sleep cycles, you can do it. Your reasons for not doing it are just excuses like so many people have for not eating better as well. It will take some big adjustment, but you can do it if it's actually your goal.

b4ds33d is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i live in the real world (with my fiancee,) so it is nearly impossible to adhere to a strict schedule seven days a week.
    so i am to assume that people who are able to adhere to a sleep schedule are somehow not in the real world?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12