Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo/Primal Diet Article on T-Nation page

yodiewan is online now Senior Member

Paleo/Primal Diet Article on T-Nation

I've been seeing some cool articles from T-Nation posted here on the forum recently and I like most of them. I found one myself (not sure if it's been posted elsewhere)

T NATION | Warrior Fitness: Who or What's a Nate Miyaki?

I LOVE some of the points that are made in this article. Mainly that low-carb is wonderful for those who are overweight or sedantary, but not so great for lean athletes who train hard. I've added potatoes and sweet potatoes back in to my diet and I feel and look better than ever.

I don't love some of the points like calorie counting, but I guess for those who are very serious figure competitors it might be necessary.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I see no reason why a tuber shouldn't be considered paleo. I think guys like Cordain were looking at hunter-gatherers and they saw a lot of hunting, and fruit consumption when it was available and not a lot of starch, but it doesn't follow that starch is necessarily a bad thing if it is a paleo starch. It certainly it better for high-intensity exercise.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

theone is offline Junior Member
    This is exactly what I have been looking for. "A happy medium between Paleo eating and the benefits of science-based sports nutrition, one that's backed up by real research and delivers results."

I will definitely try to add carbs in form of potatoes and rice (which rice do you guys recommend)? Brown?

I would recommend potatoes and sweet potatoes (and winter squashes such as butternut and acorn) before rice, but if you're going to do rice, white is actually better. Most of the phytates and other anti-nutrients in rice (and all grains) is in the bran, which is removed in white rice. See this post from a few months back.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 03-08-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    This is exactly what I have been looking for. "A happy medium between Paleo eating and the benefits of science-based sports nutrition, one that's backed up by real research and delivers results."

I will definitely try to add carbs in form of potatoes and rice (which rice do you guys recommend)? Brown?
    Have you read "the paleo diet for athletes"? Written by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel. It will help you with the athlete feeding while keeping "mostly" paleo/primal.

Dave

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    Dave,

I have that book and honestly don't like what is recommended. On the other hand I am sure that it will "work". I just find it a bit of a cop out to follow a strict low carb diet and then overlay the highest glycemic carbs on the planet and dump them in at strategic times. This feels like opening a can with a hammer to me.

I think without resorting to that one can use whole foods and good planning to get to the same place.

Dave, I am interested in you thoughts in general as I see you are a bit of an endurance athlete. I am taking the year of bike racing to re-tune my 41 year old body. No more chronic training or poor diet habits.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    Dave,

I have that book and honestly don't like what is recommended. On the other hand I am sure that it will "work". I just find it a bit of a cop out to follow a strict low carb diet and then overlay the highest glycemic carbs on the planet and dump them in at strategic times. This feels like opening a can with a hammer to me.

I think without resorting to that one can use whole foods and good planning to get to the same place.

Dave, I am interested in you thoughts in general as I see you are a bit of an endurance athlete. I am taking the year of bike racing to re-tune my 41 year old body. No more chronic training or poor diet habits.
    What kind of bike racing are you doing? Road races, multi-stage or crit? That will determine how to best work on your fueling. You could easily do full 100% primal as a crit racer. I coach a few guys who do it right now. Long road and stage races will be tricky. You need to be able to sprint hard after 3 hours in the saddle and that's where fueling becomes an art form.

I beleive that anything burns in a hot fire. Look at fat as coal. Coal takes a while to get going, but then it burns long and hot. Look at carbohydrates as newspaper. They hit a hot fire and are gone almost instantly. So I work on the premise that if I have been burning ketone bodies for a few hours (while also burning glycogen - you can't avoid it) I'm going to need to replensih muscle glycogen along the way too. On a typical long ride I will eat cashews, yams, dried fruit and grain free energy bars like Lara Bars. On very long days (of which I only do 2 per month) I will supplement with maltodextrin simply to get the calories in.

Sure, the maltodextrin is against the grain, but so is endurance training. While some will say otherwise, you simply can't train in super short bursts and expect to be able to go long on race day. I've coached close to 100 athletes to Ironman finishes so I have seen the results of all kinds of fueling plans go to hell on race day. You need to find a balance if you want to participate in endurance sports and live a primal/paleo lifestyle. That is all Loren and Joe are trying to help you with in the Paleo for Athletes book. You could do it a lot more paleo/primal for sure but at the end of the day the compromise will allow you to perform better on race day if going long is on your bucket list. I completed 4 IM distance races before I decided to step away and train less for shorter races and I'm having more fun and better success both physically and mentally now than ever before. I may never go back to ultra-distance racing, who knows. However, if I do, I will do it as Primal as I can while not seeing decremental performance markers.

PS - my 42 year old body is doing well using a balanced (80% primal) race fueling strategy.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if that article was posted on a site that hard sells supplement, if it would have been less than a lie. I hate that it gets a "Paleo" label while hawking unnecessary crap in pill form as the preferred method. No 80-20 rule about it; bodybuilding supplements like those on that site are NOT paleo.

I agree New Renaissance. Guess I should have also mentioned that in the list of things I disagree with, hah. I'm just kinda excited about the shift I've been seeing lately in the Primal/Paleo internet crowd toward not demonizing carbs as much.

theone is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Anyone want to share their diets? I follow stronglifts 5x5 program (WOD 3 times a week) and have been primal for about 2 months. Do I have to increase my carbs intake? A normal day for me would be 4 eggs for breakfast with bacon (100 g), then training. PWO is normally a hand of almonds and a banana, then to dinner I eat potatoes, chicken and vegetables (mostly spinach, broccoli, carrots etc.). If I'm hungry before bed it's some berries with coconut milk? I would not mind getting 20 kg heavier, but I want to do it naturally (primal) with no grains, sugar og dairy. I'm pretty active on my days off, and I actually feel great =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast