Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What are you reading? page 15

hfox is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Thoroughly enjoying Robert Wright's _The Moral Animal_. It was released in 1994 (if I remember correctly), but is, I think, a good starting point to familiarize oneself w/ evolutionary psychology which is a budding interest of mine.

Also making my way through _Imperial San Francisco_ by Bray Brechin and _The World of Late Antiquity_ by Peter Brown (both for classwork). I am positively "eating up" the writing in the first one--it's delectable!

Kryz is offline Junior Member

dragonmamma: hmm I think you're thinking of Robert Jordan, whose Wheel of Time series reached 11 books before he died...someone else is finishing the series. I couldn't get into it much. A Song of Ice and Fire is more "low fantasy" (very limited magic, no crazy mythical creatures flying around), at least at the beginning, it builds up more fantasy elements as it goes along. It's an amazing drama, with interesting politics and some of the best characters I've ever read. Martin's spent a LONG time on the 5th book, which was supposed to come out a few years ago and is still in progress now. It's supposed to be 7 books total, and Martin is 61, so people are getting concerned. Plus he writes other books and is working on the HBO show of the first book in the series, A Game of Thrones.

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member

@dragonmamma: He's still not even close to finishing. I think he said he was almost done with A Dance With Dragons (the next book) a couple years ago and still hasn't finished it. The last one came out in 2005. It's a great series but it really is doubtful he'll ever finish.

+1 for fantasy/sci fi though!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Now that I think about it, he was reading Martin AND Jordan, and suffering major anxiety about both of them!

Makes me want to never start any series until they're finished. Cheaper that way, too, since you can find the early books on remainder tables or used book stores.

Double-A is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

Kryz - you will not be disappointed. Song of Ice and Fire is -amazing-, and the latest book -should- be out soon.

dragonmamma - that describes my current situation. Unfortunately the latest WoT book is backlogged at the library (too po' to buy it, heh). Patience...

Right now I'm reading Walden by Thoreau - up next are The Value of Nothing by Raj Patel and Primal Body, Primal Mind.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415