Thread: Low energy for exercise.. what to change? page

it1958 is offline Senior Member

Low energy for exercise.. what to change?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my story, in brief:

52, have weight trained since i was 42, except for the past year when i started following Bee Wilder's candida program which calls for 'minimal' exercise. But having blown a shoulder and osteoarthritis in my hip, this has been a welcome reprieve from the power lifting i used to do.

My diet looks like this: about 1600 calories, 60g protein, 180g fat, 20g carbs. I eat once/day (tho, if i were hungry, i'd not have a problem adding in another meal of more P & F).

While I do want to drop a bit more body fat, my main goal is to heal from the candida, so that program takes precedence...

What I do currently:

Mostly body weight work out twice/wk (always fasted) consisting of: step-ups (12 each leg; did 20 each leg today), push-ups (because of my diastisis recti, i have to be careful doing push-ups) 10 on the incline; prisoner squats (25); crunches (10x2); upright rows (30# x 15 reps or 40# to max; today was 7); 1 minute wall squat; Supermans (6 @ 10 sec); assisted pull-ups (10). Then i do a brisk walk for 15 minutes. One day/wk, i take a 45-min brisk walk (no sprinting for me, yet!).

I caught a cold 2 wks ago, so missed three weight training work outs. Did take both 45-min walks. Went back to the gym on Friday (after missing almost 2 wks). We have to climb 5 sets of stairs to get to the free-weight room and I was amazed at how "easy" those stairs felt after 2 wks off!

Now today, Monday, those stairs just killed me; i felt like a very out-of-shape person hoofing up those stairs. I am pleased with my work-out, tho, as I pushed myself further than I have in the past.

My concern is the climb up the stairs kicking my butt!!! I'm just wondering if adjusting something in my diet (more P, more C?) would affect that level of energy? I feel great just 'living'; not exhausted or drained or dragging; plenty of energy to complete the tasks before me each day.

I appreciate any input!

Karen

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Your protein seems on the low side to me. I aim for .7 to 1 g per lb of lean body weight, so for me, that's 70 to 100 g. I'm usually around 80-90.

BTW, if you have diastisis recti, I would not do crunches. I believe planks are better and there is a thread here with appropriate yoga exercises suggested by zoebird.

How's your Vitamin D level?

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Your protein seems on the low side to me. I aim for .7 to 1 g per lb of lean body weight, so for me, that's 70 to 100 g. I'm usually around 80-90.
    thank you. i've waffled back and forth on this point. When I was power-lifting, I got 125-150g of protein/day, but that was using protein powders, which i won't use now. If consuming more protein could help with those dang stairs (i AM noticing thigh muscle once again; woot!), then i'd actually eat two meals/day instead of trying to stuff all i need in to one meal: *burb*

BTW, if you have diastisis recti, I would not do crunches. I believe planks are better and there is a thread here with appropriate yoga exercises suggested by zoebird.
    I've read up here on the DR; i really don't do crunches; i was just too lazy to say what i DO do; but, yes, no crunches, really.

How's your Vitamin D level?
    I've never had it tested but part of Bee's protocol is Vit D supplementing. I take cod liver oil.

I get somewhere in this range:

* Vitamin A: 20,000 to 30,000 IU
    * Vitamin D: 800 to 1,200 IU
    * Omega-3: 2,000 to 3,000 mg