Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Taubes on The Dr. Oz Show page 2

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok fair enough, but then I wouldnt say that he is an agent of MISinformation, just an agent of PARTIAL information.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I probably wouldn't phrase it that way, but it's a fine line between the two.

Madelenas is offline Junior Member
    I don't think Taubes ever claimed to have all the answers. He continually emphasizes the need for scientific testing to further develop and parse out the effects of carbohydrates on the human body.

I admire him because without his initial 2002 article in the Ny Times I wouldn't have known about the low carb diet, leading me to further research and the primal way. I like his evidence based arguments re the benefits of this way of eating and how the food pyramid is the result of a politicized process that has helped lead us to all sorts of problems. I've given copies of his book to several family members and friends and that convinced them as well.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madelenas View Post
    I don't think Taubes ever claimed to have all the answers. He continually emphasizes the need for scientific testing to further develop and parse out the effects of carbohydrates on the human body.

I admire him because without his initial 2002 article in the Ny Times I wouldn't have known about the low carb diet, leading me to further research and the primal way. I like his evidence based arguments re the benefits of this way of eating and how the food pyramid is the result of a politicized process that has helped lead us to all sorts of problems. I've given copies of his book to several family members and friends and that convinced them as well.
    Taubes as a gateway is fine. But if you stop there, you'll be confused when you stop losing weight after cutting out all carbs at a point, or run into some more complex situations. I think he makes over-statements. I think that's what Chaohinon was getting at.

Also, Taubes is low-carb, not primal or AH. They are not interchangeable.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I recently gave a girl at my new job the WWGF book (at her request, I would never walk up to a new female co-worker and hand her a book called "why we get fat") but told her to not pay too much mind to his food recommendations, or to even look at them, but rather to come to me with any questions. I told her that I eat plenty of carbs so I'm not in total agreement with what the book says, but that for somebody such as her who is not inundated with nutritional info as I have been, it will still provide a good basis on which to start.

Dr. Oz though, well, fish gotta swim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12