Thread: Chronic cardio? page

Darbbb is offline Member

Chronic cardio?

Shop Now
    I am just finishing up P90x and about to start PBF. I have a question. In considering the Move Slowly etc part of the program, I am thinking in the spring that will involve a fair amount of hiking. Right now though, it's still very cold out and there is snow on the ground. So, I might, as the book suggests, go to the gym and use the treadmill. I imagine this will involve an hour of walking a couple times a week (55% max HR) or light jogging for an hour (75% max HR). So my question: How is that not chronic cardio, if Im doing that 2-3 times week?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    2 reasons why that's not chronic cardio:
    1. your heart rate will not be getting up that high. keep it between 55 and 75%
    2. a few hours a week isn't that much. the chronic cardio mark talks about is marathon training and the like. i ride my exercise bike for about an hour every day (until i can go outside and go hiking), keep my heart rate pretty level, and call that my moving slowly.

Darbbb is offline Member
    That's helpful rob...thanks.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Don't to treadmill. If you are in the gym do something useful that works on skill and flexibility. Get yourself a heart rate monitor - the cheapest from a good brand, you won't need any of the advanced functionality IMHO. Then just practice, and get a feel for the intensity. Much more fun than slow treadmill.....

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    As long as heart rate doesn't get too high, you can't really overdo cardio. Walking for most of the day would be ideal (wish I had a walking workstation!).

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    got home and finally have access to a proper keyboard (...not only and iPad) so let me expand on my previous post.

I like to do the series from the Verstegen book - for me at least they get the heart in the right range. You can see an overview here Verstegen Series’ | Thor Falk but I would recommend to buy the book Books | Thor Falk (I am not affiliated by the way - I just think it is good value for money).

I also like to do some Pilates on those days, or sometimes Yoga (but that hurts...). Also - but this is personal - I like to do the "Burgener Warmup" (or a slightly extended version of it, including some front squats with light weights) Olympic Lifting Prep Series’ | Thor Falk because I want to improve my skills in Olympic lifting.

If you have a HRM you can easily adjust those that you stay between 55-75% of your max HR.