Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ketosis, Very Low Carb Diets, and Cardiac Arrhythmias (& Mg, K deficiency) page 3

JulieME is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    You may also need to take potassium while you are very low carb. I think the Drs Eades have something in their book about this.

Ok, I decided to look this up: From pg109 of the 6 Week Cure for the Middle Age Middle "We implore you to head this advice; unless you replenish the potassium you'll lose every day in this first two weeks as you lose fat and shed excess retained fluid, you may become very tired and could suffer muscle cramping or even heart rhythm disturbances. It is seriously important, so we repeat: take your potassium." (emphasis mine)

Julie

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Re: increase potassium intake

I don't have the 6-wk cure book but do have his Protein Power book and also noted his suggestion to increase potassium intake.

However, I follow Bee Wilder's program and she states:

"As noted above, adequate macrominerals, other than calcium, magnesium, sodium and chloride, are contained in the diet, i.e. potassium, sulphur, and phosphorus. " This is following a program of only protein, good fats and vegetables. I have been following her program for one year (tomorrow's the anniversary!) and have not noticed any symptoms that would cause me to feel the need to increase potassium.

She states: "potassium - found in many foods, i.e. eggs, meats, vegetables and tea. "

And finally: "How to Balance Potassium & Sodium

Potassium is one of the electrolytes (minerals) that, along with sodium and chloride, are involved in the maintenance of normal water balance... (from acu-cell.com).

Low potassium levels will cause weight gain and water retention, however low sodium (salt) levels can also result in edema.

The best solution to this problem is to take a good ocean sea salt, i.e. Celtic sea salt, which will provide all of the trace minerals required by the body — over 84 in number — and also contribute proper amounts of sodium and chloride, which are two of the seven macronutrients required by the body. Take at least 1 1/2 teaspoons of ocean sea salt either in the lemon and sea salt drink or added to foods.

Potassium is prevalent in so many foods it would be almost impossible to have low levels. Even one cup of tea contains over 120 mgs. "

Water Retention Causes and Treatments

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    thx. I actually had my bloodwork done after an initial phase of low carb / paleo for an unrelated reason, and potassium was alright (on the high side even) without supplementation - this of course is only an n=1 experiment! and I am drinking probably 2ltrs of tea each day

bluepelican is offline Member
    I can't comment on the low carb diet, but potassium is the thing that finally put an end to my palpatations. I was on beta blockers for eight years for my arrythmia. The beta blockers completely sapped my energy and all I wanted to do was sleep. I started seeing a naturopathic doctor who put me on a regimen of supplements and within 3 months I was off the prescription medication. I was still having occaisional episodes and my doctor thought it might be a potassium deficiency. I started taking a potassium supplement (Standard Process organically bound minerals) and the palpatations went away. Now, if I'm feeling anxious about something and I feel an episode coming on, I can take one of the mineral pills and within a few minutes my heart starts to calm down.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Blood levels of minerals are not a good indicator of sufficiency because your body scavenges tissues to maintain blood levels. You need to monitor your intake to be sure you are getting what you need just as you should in any health way of eating.

The base of the primal pyramid is vegetables and fruits. Using those healthy carbs, one is advised to find the optimal level of carbs for one's own situation on the carb curve. Those healthy vegetable and fruit carbs will bring some good minerals with them.

Lots of good information from other posters, here. I would also look at the Wm Davis Heart Scan Blog. He is a cardiologist who advocates a limited carb, Primal-type diet as specifically therapeutic for CVD.

mchan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by it1958 View Post
    I follow Bee Wilder's candida program which includes no grains, sugar, fruits, starches, dairy or nuts. Because of this, she has a list of supplements to take to make up for the missing nutrients that would come from those foods while we heal.

So many of the things people here are complaining about are normal symptoms when you switch over from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner: the heat issues, the muscle aches, etc. All a normal part of healing (which is why I love Bee's site, as she explains those issues).

Here she talks about how to find the balance between calcium and magnesium:
    Cramps, Muscle and Menstrual

She also explains about the important of Sea Salt (Celtic has 84 trace minerals) and electrolytes.....

This article discusses the electrolytes in potassium:
    Water Retention Causes and Treatments

This article discusses foods in which to find potassium:
    Potassium in Foods

This article discusses the importance of (good) sea salt:
    The Importance of Good Ocean Sea Salt in the Diet

Bee actually recommends following an all protein/fat diet, once you're able to keep your fat intake high enough (80%). I myself, have the obligatory 1/3-1/2 c well-cooked veggies/day...

I've also got a friend who has been following a ketogenic diet (carbs under 50g/day) for over a year to control bipolarism. She is off all bipolar meds. She feels great. I suppose the art is to find the balance.
    I just had to say BEEs advice almost killed me! She is not a trained professional, just a women with a story and a lot of research online only. I was on her diet and supp plan and kept getting very painful kidney stones, I had a test done and found out I had a very high amount of oxalates in my urine. I was consuming a lot of greens like spinach that are high oxalate. I sent Bee and email to tell her about it and she told me to "Ignore their advice (the doc), there is no such thing as having a problem with oxalates and I should continue to eat the spinach and high oxalate veges because my body needs the nutrients". I was shocked she would say such a thing, because it is a total lie. Since going low oxalate all my body pains went away and no more stones. If I would have listen to her I could be miserable right now from yet another horrible kidney stone and muscle pains. Be careful whose advice you choose to listen to, make sure you are doing your own research. It is obvious she goes against EVERYTHING the western medicine has to say, although I agree western medicine needs to come a long way, they are not all total idiots and they do have life saving advice based on real research.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123