Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis, Very Low Carb Diets, and Cardiac Arrhythmias (& Mg, K deficiency) page 2

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mg, K is Magnesium, Potassium. Did not have enough space

Thanks. This is really interesting.

Thx. He is actually referring to the article I have mentioned above. Seems to be rare but happening

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I've been having issues with palpitations and weird muscle spasms since starting primal. I've tried both low sodium and added sodium to no avail. I've also tried supplementing with magnesium but it makes the palpitations significantly worse, which usually sparks panic attacks and anxiety.

I'm pretty sure I eat a lot of potassium-rich foods, and I'm nervous to supplement with anymore electrolytes after the terrible experiences I've had with magnesium.

This doesn't really make sense to me. What about low-carb eating would cause arrhythmias, if this is truly how we're supposed to eat?
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 03-07-2011 at 11:30 AM.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
    I've been having issues with palpitations since starting primal. I've tried both low sodium and added sodium to no avail. I've also tried supplementing with magnesium but it makes the palpitations significantly worse, which usually sparks panic attacks and anxiety.

I'm pretty sure I eat a lot of potassium-rich foods, and I'm nervous to supplement with anymore electrolytes after the terrible experiences I've had with magnesium.

This doesn't really make sense to me. What about low-carb eating would cause arrhythmias, if this is truly how we're supposed to eat?
    Did you try splitting your magnesium between three meals? Many have issues with too much at once.

Not everyone who follows primal is VLC or even LC. I think it is important to do what is right for your situation, your health issues (if any) and know where you need to be depending on where you are now (fat loss, eight loss or maintenence etc), what your goals are and how you feel.

DirtyHippie is offline Junior Member
    When you guys talk about supplementing with magnesium, do you mean like the Natural Calm stuff? I love that stuff. It has helped with my palpitations I used to get when I ate high-carb (back in my vegan days)... my heart has been very steady since eating primal.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    This happens to me also. I'm getting scared especially reading about the two young athletes dying recently. If I don't eat for 4-5 hours it's beating pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    This happens to me also. I'm getting scared especially reading about the two young athletes dying recently. If I don't eat for 4-5 hours it's beating pretty fast.
    What happened there? Havent come across this.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    In the past 2 days a high school basketball player and rugby player both collapsed and died due to underlying heart conditions/cardiac arrest.
    Schoolboy rugby player Matthew Hammerdorfer dies of heart attack during game - the second teen to do so in less than 3 days | Mail Online

Not saying this will happen to me but when I'm basically doing next to nothing and my heart is beating fast it's a very wtf moment.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    I follow Bee Wilder's candida program which includes no grains, sugar, fruits, starches, dairy or nuts. Because of this, she has a list of supplements to take to make up for the missing nutrients that would come from those foods while we heal.

So many of the things people here are complaining about are normal symptoms when you switch over from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner: the heat issues, the muscle aches, etc. All a normal part of healing (which is why I love Bee's site, as she explains those issues).

Here she talks about how to find the balance between calcium and magnesium:
    Cramps, Muscle and Menstrual

She also explains about the important of Sea Salt (Celtic has 84 trace minerals) and electrolytes.....

This article discusses the electrolytes in potassium:
    Water Retention Causes and Treatments

This article discusses foods in which to find potassium:
    Potassium in Foods

This article discusses the importance of (good) sea salt:
    The Importance of Good Ocean Sea Salt in the Diet

Bee actually recommends following an all protein/fat diet, once you're able to keep your fat intake high enough (80%). I myself, have the obligatory 1/3-1/2 c well-cooked veggies/day...

I've also got a friend who has been following a ketogenic diet (carbs under 50g/day) for over a year to control bipolarism. She is off all bipolar meds. She feels great. I suppose the art is to find the balance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast