Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal and reflux? page

Mldami is offline Senior Member

Primal and reflux?

Primal Fuel
    Hey folks,
    A week into eating primally I was officially diagnosed with reflux. It got horrible while I was pregnant with my sone..and then it just stuck around. Ok, no real biggie except that it causes me hell with my asthma while I am sleeping.
    Anyhoo, so the Doc gives me a list of foods to avoid and it is a pretty big list:
    Fatty foods (and fat in general)
    Red meats
    Dark chocolate (which I only indulge in sparingly)
    Caffeine (I only have 1 cup of coffee a day)
    Raw veggies (especially at night)

Basically a ton of what i eat now. Any advice? Anyone btdt? I haven't modified what I eat...I just try to make sure I eat early enough.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    My major problem going into paleo style eating was allergies/IBS and reflux. The reflux was so bad that it made it very difficult to sleep. After paleo it all stopped and just got better. I have read many different stories about reflux stopping after going paleo/primal. Have you completely removed gluten and lactose? If so you also want to try having less tomatoes/tomatoe sauce, wine, and caffeine. Also, try not to drink a lot of water with your meals. Only drink water when you are actually thirsty. Another tip is to watch your eating posture and make sure you aren't sitting or laying down funny post meals. That's all I can think of for now. But all of those things should help clear it up. Good luck!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

jandge is offline Senior Member
    PB fixed my reflux so much that I'm off prescription Prevacid and over the counter antacids (fu Pepcid!). It's fixed my reflux 99% - there might be a bit of pain if I eat certain foods, but a good burp relieves any pain immediately and I'm fine the rest of the night.

I eat 69-76% fat everyday (since November). Fat is not the problem. Unless you have gallstones, too much fat was a trigger for a gallstone attack (for me) and that pain felt like horrible indigestion for years.

OH, and it took a little while to adjust for me, about a month before I was completely off everything.

There are still a couple triggers for me - balsamic vinegar (sadface) and raw red bellpeppers. Spaghetti sauce and coffee are no longer problems AT ALL.
    Last edited by jandge; 03-06-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I had terrible reflux before starting PB, mine also started when I was pregnant and then stayed. The secret for me has been getting off gluten. I still take a tsp of Gaviscon some nights but I used to take 2 full doses a night before and still be miserable. Dairy is an issue for me too.

You can also try taking digestive enzymes. Also some people with reflux actually have low stomach acid so taking HCl tablets can help (didn't work for me but others have found it to make a big difference).
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Mine is a silent reflux...so I don't have all the heartburn and stuff that comes along with it. All gluten and alcohol is out. Lactose hasn't been yet. I would have thought that dairy would neutralize acid. My biggest problems are that my asthma is getting triggered at night and I have a very sore spot in my throat. I was at the ENT for my throat (my brother had tongue cancer at age 32... And he was not a smoker). So I was worried. While he did an endoscopy, I gagged and acid came up...hence the diagnosis. But my asthma has never been that big of a deal...brought on by extreme physical stress. The only horrible attacks I have had have been the birth of my kids and when I got H1N1 while pregnant. Now, I am having horrible attacks 3-5 times a week. It sucks!

Maybe I have to cut out the dairy too...I only really use cheese, not milks.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    I have actually ditched my Tums. I got acid very badly with both my pregnancies and it never went away. Since going Primal, don't have any acid issues any more.
    I still get the asophageal cramps occasionally, but that is only if I am stressed and chowing down too fast on food.
    Forces me to really slow down at meals, and put my fork down between bites.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are the number one source of acid reflux. Since you're only a week in your body may not have fully adjusted yet but if it doesn't get better soon try the low-carb primal variant (NO FRUIT).
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Reflux and asthma can be connected. My asthma (was needing ventolin 4x a day) went almost completely when I stopped eating gluten. If I keep dairy out as well I am 99.9% wheeze free.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast