Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feel like I may have wasted another 1.5 years page

HelloMeteor is offline Member

Feel like I may have wasted another 1.5 years

Primal Fuel
    I've been seeing a PT for the past year and a half to help my legs/knees feel better. She thinks everything is basically fine. My knees don't ache as often, but I think that might be diet related more than anything we've done. I'm mostly doing swings, tgu's, pistols. But nothing feels right. My legs don't feel comfortable, strong, or normal.

She says I'm more "put together" than before, and that I was kind of a mess before, which may all be true. She thinks I basically just need to keep doing what I'm doing, but I am not sure. But my legs don't feel any more normal than they have in the past 7 years, and they constantly feel awkward. We may have fixed some problems, but it feels like the underlying problem is still there, and hasn't been improved in the least. It feels like my knee is permanently bent inward, and the ITB seems really tight, but she doesn't think it is very tight. The muscles of the quad don't work right, and look a little misshapen compared to what I remember them looking like. They're still just as creaky as they were before. It feels like my upper leg is twisted with respect to the lower leg, or visa versa, like something is seriously out of alignment, but she, and other people who have looked at it think the alignment is normal.

I have no idea what to do, and this problem is coming close to ruining my life. No one that I've dealt with over the last 5 years has been able to help and I have no idea what to do. I don't know if I can just keep willing myself through workouts while my legs keep feeling really weird.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    HELLO!!!

Oh man, oh man....

Please check into Rolfing. I've had, combined, more than a year of PT for a broken back. I had big rods and even bigger screws with crossbars from T10-L3. I called it the Iron Maiden. Fast forward. The rods were causing a lot of problems and my back was stable and had healed nicely, so out came the rods. Big problems. My back is actually going great, but my body was totally screwed up below L3 and downward. My torso was totally torqued in a couple of different ways (looked like an "S") but I had zero torso rotation (sort of important when walking!) and my hips, sacrum, and legs were totally misaligned. My body wasn't even centered over my hips, and my belly button was/is pulled over to the right side. I couldn't even get both heels on the ground because my pelvis was corkscrewed, and I was limping and dragging my right leg, although both my legs were uninjured in the accident. I *totally* get what you are saying in your description above!! I totally get it, and I empathize.

I saw the following picture, known as Rolfing Boy:

I said, "THAT'S IT!! THAT'S EXACTLY HOW MY BODY FEELS (AND LOOKS!)" I immediately started looking for a Rolfer in my area. Three days later, there I was in front of him. I'll never forget: He looked straight into my eyes and said, "I can help you."

I was in the middle of (more) PT, and it was clear that I was on a slow train to nowhere with that, so I started doing Rolfing in conjunction with the PT. I started making rapid strides all of a sudden once Rolfing was added (which the PT took credit for!). I have since completed PT and am now doing Rolfing plus massages, and there is a shift of some sort literally every single week. My problem (well, one of them...) is with my hip flexor on the right. They were stretching me like freaking Gumby for 6 months in PT, and there wasn't even half an inch of change 6 months later. But a big change with: Rolfing, a day to rest and integrate the changes, followed by a side-lying massage two days later. I call it my 1-2 punch. Lots of cracking deep in the joints -- hips, knees, ankles -- as my body is readjusting back to normality. The whole thing with Rolfing is STRUCTURAL INTEGRATION. The Rolfer doesn't even work my back anymore -- he's totally focused on hips, legs, sacrum. When he first started Rolfing my legs, I was confused/thought it was a waste of time/money....but it turns out getting the legs straight is critical to my movement, not my back at all.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 03-06-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    P.S. You do not have to be terribly injured in an accident to benefit from Rolfing. A lot of athletes and dancers swear by this .... runners say it improves their time and dancers say they are able to move more fluidly.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 03-06-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Yoga may help? It definitely helped me feel more aligned and helped my knees/legs.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I second the Rolfing idea. My hubby and have been through the 10 series and it really did miracles for both of us. He went for his back I needed help with my hips.

js290 is offline Senior Member

HelloMeteor is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Sorry to be so blunt, but what is your reason for posting this video?

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    What you describe sounds a like like patella misalignment. Did they have you do the basics of knee rehab? straight leg raises with the hip turned to 45 degrees external rotation, short arc quads, step-ups in 3 directions, heel taps, stool scoots and quad sets?

What muscles are you stretching?

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe you have posture problems...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast