Thread: Crispy Pork Belly with Apple and Red Onion page

JessMurray is offline Junior Member

Crispy Pork Belly with Apple and Red Onion

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

New here, signed up to share a recipe with you all that I love and hope you will too: Crispy pork belly with roasted apple "potatoes" and red onion, with redcurrant and red wine sauce. It's wonderfully easy, perfect for a dinner party or a busy evening where you can't afford to spend too long in the kitchen.

What you'll need per person:
    Pork Belly (around 500g per person)
    1 large bramley apple, cut into small cubes (around an inch)
    1 red onion (quartered)

Sauce:
    Redcurrant Jelly or Redcurrants
    Red wine

1. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, try and buy your pork belly from a butchers as opposed to a supermarket - supermarkets tend to remove some of the fat, and due to being contained in airtight plastic the skin often hasnt aired enough. When you get home, remove the pork from all packaging, place on a plate, and leave in the fridge, covered with a sheet of kitchen towel.

2. Around 4 hours before cooking the belly, score the belly skin at 5mm intervals all over. Rub in salt, wrap in clingfilm and leave for 2 hours.

3. Unwrap belly, use kitchen towel to absorb the moisture until dry.

4. Give the belly skin a blast with a hairdryer on maximum for a minute or two until the skin is completely leathery.

5. Rub a liberal amount of seasalt and pepper into the skin, and the scores you made.

6. Preheat the oven to the max setting (preferably 250 degrees C).

7. Get a large roasting pan and create a trivet with the apple cubes and the quartered red onions. Lay the pork belly on top of it.

8. Put the pork belly in the oven for 15 minutes. After that, turn down to around 160C and leave in the oven for another 45 minutes.

9.Turn the heat back up to maximum for the final fifteen minutes (this should make the skin blister and go very light and crunchy), then remove from the oven to rest.

10. Drain the meat juices into a pan with redcurrants (or around 1tbsp of redcurrant jelly per person), and around 2tbsp of red wine per person. Simmer, reduce, and then serve over the meat!

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    This sounds good! Do the apples stay in pieces, or do they form a sort of apple sauce?

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    You had me at "Crispy Pork Belly".....

JessMurray is offline Junior Member
    Heya,

The apples stay in pieces so they're almost a bit like roast potatoes.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm. I will find some pork belly some day. I like the idea of using a hair dryer to make the skin dry for extra crispiness. I bet that would work well with chicken wings too.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Good lord that sounds good. I've had experience with the general method described, it works really well, especially the hairdryer. When scoring get to the fat (but try to avoid hitting meat) -- while roasting the fat will seep up the scoring and baste the skin on a continual basis.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Want.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout