Thread: delicious & easy way to eat salmon page

caroline Guest

Primal Fuel

Don't know if anyone has already tried this, but tonight I made this and found it to be delicious:

Mash together:

canned salmon, drained (I used half a can)

ripe avocado (I used 3/4 of an avocado)

ground pepper

I will try adding diced veggies next time.

(I assume canned salmon is ok to eat??)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Canned salmon, especially bought from a discount store, is an incredible source of protein and Omega 3's.

An incredible bang for the buck, IMO.

Did you know that during The Depression, salmon was still abundant so it was eaten a lot. It was called "Hoover steak." Ah, those good old days of tent cities, starvation, and loss of dignity.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I remember eating canned salmon as a kid and HATING it. Retried it a month or two ago just by frying it in some coconut oil and seasoning and loved it. It'd be killer topped on a big salad or something.

I hear canned salmon is super good for you because only wild caught salmon is canned (not sure if that's true).

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

There is a book called The Good Rain: Across Time and Terrain in the Pacific Northwest. A section of it eloquently describes the Native American tribes fishing the wild salmon runs along the Columbia River and its tributaries. Tney ate salmon year round, fresh or smoked. It was their sustenance, as important as the air they breathed. They were very healthy until missionaries came along, relocated them to reservations and forced them to farm wheat and corn, and eat bread. And that was the beginning of the end of those tribes. Sorry, I digress.

klcarbaugh Guest

Hmmm. I don't think I like avocado and salmon, but maybe if I heated up the canned salmon I have in some butter?? Salmon is WAY to lean by itself. Only one gram of fat (but of course most of that is O-3)!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

It's true. Every time I bought canned salmon in the past the ingredient label said "Wild Caught Salmon, Water, Salt". That's it!

half-full is offline Junior Member

I eat canned wild caught salmon frequently and with avocado. Had it for lunch yesterday along with a veggie slaw I make - whatever veggies I have in fridge - I put in chopper, add cilantro and a little lemon and lime juice. It is great with the salmon and avocado.