Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Am I Missing? page

BigNoseDog is offline Junior Member

Post What Am I Missing?

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I apologize for the length, but any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I've suffered from seasonal allergies my whole life. As a kid, I would get allergy shots which seemed to help. By the time I went away to college, I was no longer getting shots and managing with just OTC medication. Except for late August/early September, I never had any flare ups.

In the last few years, I've been following a Primal Blueprint/Paleo Diet lifestyle. It's made a huge difference in how I look and feel. I've lost weight, cleared up my acne, and improved my moods. I've also discovered that, during allergy season, my symptoms weren't as severe. I still had to rely on the occasional Claritin or Zyrtec and limit my exposure to the outdoors. But, for the most part, things were manageable.

That changed when I moved to Atlanta a few months ago. Up until then, I had spent my entire life in the Midwest. I knew things would be different in the south and that I would probably develop new allergies, but I never expected it to be this bad. Eating clean and taking OTC drugs hasn't helped. I've searched through this and similar forums for suggestions on what to do and have already applied some of the advice I've received. I've begun consuming local raw honey and supplementing my diet with Vitamin C and Quercitin. But I'm still miserable. So I'm now doing what I swore I would never do, which is see an allergist. And I already know what to expect. He's going to give me a prescription for some expensive medication and recommend I start receiving allergy shots. I was really hoping to avoid that, not just because of the time and expense involved, but also because it doesn't address the root problem.

When I suffered from depression, I was put on anti-depressants which did very little for me. But then I started eating better and exercising regularly and my depression went away. When I struggled with acne, I tried various OTC treatments. They helped, but never prevented future breakouts. It wasn't until I cut out processed food that I saw clear skin. So I have to believe that seasonal allergies can be addressed in the same way. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. I cut out dairy, sugar, grains and alcohol. I eat only organic fruits and veggies, nuts, wild fish, and grass-fed meat. I drink only filtered water and green tea. I consume raw local honey daily, supplement with Vitamin C and Quercitin. Is there something else that falls within the guidelines of The Primal Blueprint that I should try?
    Last edited by BigNoseDog; 03-06-2011 at 11:36 AM.

loraine is offline Junior Member
    I don't really have any advice, but welcome to Atlanta! I've lived here my whole life and the spring allergy season is just beginning. I never really had allergies growing up, but now I get headaches and a scratchy throat occasionally. Just wait until the pine pollen starts and everything turns yellow!

I also use a little local raw honey, but I'm not sure how much it helps. Good luck in finding relief!

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    Make sure your Vitamin D is sufficient--supplement according to the recommendations right away & get tested in 3 months. It's possible that you may not be able to get enough sun, even in Atlanta...

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    it may take you a few seasons to adjust. If the shots improve your quality of life, I am all for it.

My kids and I all have seasonal allergies plus mold, pet dander and dust allergies. We moved to a new state last year and can say it was pretty rough allergy wise. Nothing some Zyrtec wouldn't handle. We only take it when we have really bad days, ie; when we need to. Now we are moving to another state and I am already preparing for another seasonal adjustment.

This is not the first time I've moved to a new state, but it is the first time I'm lived outside of the Midwest. I realize that you can't adjust to a new environment in a matter of months and that it could take several years before I fully acclimate. If I have to get allergy shots, I'll do it. Medications are basically meant to alleviate one's symptoms, but they don't address the cause. At least allergy shots have the potential to build up one's immunity. But I see them as a last resort and would prefer to try other healthier (not to mention less expensive) methods.

As for the raw honey, I hear mixed views on that. Some swear by it, but others say that because bee pollen isn't the same pollen found in the air, immunizing yourself against won't do any good. Then again, I read this on a site supported by allergists so they have a slight conflict of interest. It's kind of like a dermatology website telling people that cutting out dairy is a waste of time. I just wish I had started on the raw honey sooner. Up in the Midwest, allergy season doesn't start until late Summer. I didn't realize it would start in February.

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi BND,

Welcome to the south!

My story: I had TERRIBLE allergies that evolved into allergy-induced asthma when I moved into my hubby's house (something there was a trigger for me).

I tried everything. Nothing worked, and I mean everything. I was having asthma attacks every morning at 3 am.

Finally, I did a seven-day fast using a psyllium and bentonite drink. I based my fast on the book, "The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity." I stopped having asthma attacks after three days of fasting and haven't had one since (10 years later). After fasting, I did about a dozen "Hulda Clark liver cleanses" (google it) over a two-year period. Slowly my allergies subsided and many other symptoms did as well. We moved to the south and still my allergies stayed at bay.

Not everyone can go seven days without eating and I'm not suggesting you do. But, colon cleansing and liver cleaning really helped me.

Good luck!
    sg

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I second the Vitamin D3

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    I moved from MD to MS a few years back and the first spring here i had HORRENDOUS hay fever. i was up ALL night hacking, unable to breathe....the 'doctor' told me i suffered acid reflux .... i called BS on him, and toughed out the season, hay fever never showed up again. guess my body had to adjust to the south! it sure loves some southern hospitality now!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    guess my body had to adjust to the south! it sure loves some southern hospitality now!
    You been reading too much of that feeling sexy thread.

PrimalCon New York
    Well I just returned from my trip to the allergist. Turns out I have quite a number of allergies, mostly to various trees and ragweeds. I mentioned to my doctor that I was consuming raw local honey to try and build up my immunity. He didn't discourage me from doing so and even admitted that it's a good strategy for someone with a few pollen allergies. But given just how many allergies I have, he said it's unlikely the raw honey would have all the pollens I'm allergic to and, therefore, I shouldn't expect great results from consuming raw honey. But there's no harm in continuing to do so. I also told him how my symptoms seem to be more severe whenever I consume grains or dairy. The test showed no allergy to wheat or dairy, but he said that if I see a pattern with certain foods, it's best to listen to my body. So I'll continue eating the PB way. So we talked about my options. Short-term relief would involve nasal sprays, eye drops, and antihistamines. Long-term, he thinks immunizations shots are my best bet. Having had them as a kid and seeing firsthand how effective they are, I decided to pursue that option. I'd rather do that than have to take various drugs every time I get sick. I was really hoping for a paleo solution to this. But I guess what I'm experiencing now is proof that I'm living in an area that my genes weren't evolved to handle. Short of moving to a different city, this seems to be my best option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast