Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Am I Missing? page 2

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had terrible allergies pre diet change. I was on a CW diet that I learned from my nutrition courses at school. I also was involved in a lot of chronic cardio. I was taking immuno therapy shots for allergies twice a week for a year and it really didn't help. And it was super expensive.

Since starting paleo over a year ago things have changed big time. Removing gluten/dairy from the diet helped the most. As well as slowing down with my exercises and sleeping better. I haven't been sick in over a year and I no longer take shots or anti-histamines. On high pollen days I still get clogged up if its windy but so does everyone else I work out with who don't have a history of allergies. If you ever get congestion in the sinuses and good fix is to use a neti pot which works wonders. I also agree that a good D3 supplement is a key component if you are not getting adequate sun exposure.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

I live in the South (Athens, Ga) and have bad allergies as well. I will second the suggestion about a Netti-Pot. This always helps me. I am on Zyrtec (generic form) every single day of the year to control my allergies. I also have to seasonally take nasal decongestants and use steriod nasal spray on top of that. I got the Netti-Pot 6 months ago and though the allergies and pollen counts are extremely high already it has kept me from using my normal decongestants and nasal spray for this long. I only use it about 3 times a week - more if I am feeling overly clogged. Try it and give it a week or two and I would be willing to be that it will somewhat reduce your symptoms.

Welcome to the wonderful South!

I am just starting to eat this way and I am hoping to reduce some of my allergies with this new lifestyle.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Another welcome to Spring in Atlanta!

The pollen count here is insane, and it's just beginning.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    My hubby had really bad allergies but since he's eliminated gluten and gone on Vitamin D, he is doing much better.

BigNoseDog is offline Junior Member
    The last 2 weeks have been interesting. Shortly after my trip to the allergist, I developed a cold. I've been working long hours and admittedly haven't been eating as healthy as I should. Once I got rid of the cold, my allergies kind of returned. But it was pretty mild. An occasional sneeze, some slight stuffiness, and every now and then, some itchiness in the eyes. Because of work, I haven't gotten around to starting the shots, not that they would help for the Spring. But I have been paying extra attention to what I eat and just how my body reacts to certain foods. For example, one weekend I went out to eat and had a little bit of bread, some wine, and later ice cream. Within an hour, my allergies flared up. So I went back to eating clean. Chocolate is my big weakness and one day, I kept snacking on little pieces of dark chocolate. Well I guess it's true what they say about sugar messing with your immune system cause my allergies flared up. It seems like my body is especially sensitive to any deviations. It doesn't take much to elicit a reaction. On the one hand, that's good cause it doesn't take long for me to confirm which foods are bad for me. On the other hand, it leaves very little margin for error, which kind of stinks if you want to cheat every now and then. On the plus side, this strict way of eating has allowed me to lose a few pounds and now I'm back into my exercise routine. Hopefully, it won't take long to lose the weight I gained this winter. I guess that's the big plus in all this. My allergies are giving me added incentive to REALLY clean. I don't miss bread and I can live without wine or ice cream. But no chocolate? That's gonna be tough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12