Thread: Primal Rocks! page

cmocks is offline Junior Member

Primal Rocks!

Primal Fuel
    Okay, here goes. I've always wanted to do one of these online journals as a way of motivating myself not to cheat.

I'm a geologist and I work in remote camps in the Arctic so it's tough to follow a normal workout and diet routine. When I'm in camp, I'm not able to cook for myself. There is a cook who's preparing food for about 30 of us so I can't really have her specialize just for me. There are certain things that I can do so I'll try my best here.

I have no access to a gym when I'm working so I'm going to do Tabata bodyweight exercises and resistance training with a TRX.

Day 1: Decided to go primal. It's almost 8pm and I've had all my meals for the day, showered and now I'm just finishing up some work for the day before I go to bed.

Tomorrow morning, I'm planning on having two scrambled eggs and an avacado for breakfast. I'll also still have a cup of black coffee. I'm going to need to ease off that very very slowly

Here goes!

SpecOps,

Thanks for the reassurance, good to know that others out there are living different lifestyles and still making it work!

Today is going well so far. I'll post up my daily intake and exercise before I goto bed. In the meantime, I took some before photos. It looks like I have to find a place to upload them before I can post them though.

Excuse the accomodations. I'm living in a geology work camp for the next three weeks.

Front - March 6 20.jpg
    Back - March 6 201&#4.jpg
    Side - March 6 201&.jpg

Okay. Here are the results of day one.

Breakfast:
    -two scrambled eggs
    -one avacado
    -two cups of coffee with 1 tablespoon of evaporated milk

Lunch:
    -bowl of salad with oil and vinegar
    -left over ham from yesterdays dinner
    -cup of coffee and bottle of water

Snack:
    -one apple
    -quarter cup of pecans

Workout:
    -Tabata sprints
    -Tabata burpees

Dinner:
    -large bowl of salad with oil and vinegar
    -leftover ham dinner again (it's all gone now)
    -approx two cups of brussle sprouts
    -small bowl of fruit salad for dessert
    -bottle of water

Overall, I'm feeling really good except I've been absolutely starving all day. I'm hoping this is just an adjustment as I'm used to eating probably 6 slices of bread (toast and sandwichs) and then a large portion of carbs with dinner. I cut all those out today and just focused on meat, vegetables with some fruit and nuts. Workout went well. I should have done a third set of Tabata something but I wanted to ease into it a bit.

I forgot to post last night.

Breakfast:
    -skipped breakfast because we had an emergency at work and I didn't have time to grab anything
    -two cups of coffee

Lunch:
    -salad with veggies, pecans and walnuts. dressing was olive oil and vinegar
    -small bowl of cream of broccoli soup (not sure if this is primal or not)
    -piece of pepperoni
    -apple

Dinner:
    -two striploin steaks, each about 8oz
    -same salad as lunch

Workout:
    -TRX suspension trainer resistance training
    -3 sets of 12 reps of the following: suspened crunch, suspended pushup, pull ups (didn't make 12 on last two sets), bicep curls, shoulder flys

Felt pretty good all day. Energy levels were fine. I had some hunger pains but they were very minor compared to day 1.

So far, today is going great. I had a wicked breakfast. Not sure yet if I'm going to workout this afternoon or not. I'd like to do a couple sets of Tabatas then take tomorrow off.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecOps View Post
    cmocks

I can relate to the "austere" conditions.....

You are going to be amazed at your during and after pics!!! Just you wait!!! As for your energy levels? To be expected but you need to increase your god fat intake. I had the same issues and it was difficult to find good fats. I have now balanced and am using mainly eggs (boiled mostly), fatty bacon or ham, occasional beef with fat and chicken with skin, SPAM - yes SPAM, and Tuna, and the best supplement for me is Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk that my wife's mails to me. It has changed life for me. No more mid-day slumps and a good steady energy level all day. i also am using Primal Fuel Protein to supplement when I can not get enough protein.

Please keep us posted and remember - stay focused and do not go into the doorway of temptation - those bad carbs, sugars, and fats!!!
    Hey SpecOps,

Just a quick question. What do you use the coconut milk for? Do you just drink it? I can get our cook to order those Thai Kitchen cans on the next food order with no problems.

Also, we have tons of canned tuna. How do you take it? I was thinking about just throwing in a can with my daily garden salad for some extra protein.

I'm trying to use olive oil to keep my fat intake high enough. I think those fatty salads may have had something to do with it. I felt a lot better yesterday and I'm feeling really good today. Can't wait for the next few weeks. I won't be seeing my girlfriend until April 3rd and I'm hoping that I'll be able to pleasantly surprise her!

Okay here's day three!

Breakfast:
    -two scrambled eggs
    -1 avacado
    -2 sausage links
    -2 cups of coffee

Lunch:
    -8 oz new york steak (gota love leftovers)
    -bowl of salad with veggies, pecans, walnuts, oil, vinegar
    -two hard boiled eggs

Snack:
    -stick of pepperoni with a small slice of cheese
    -an apple

Dinner:
    -dozen chicken wings with hot sauce
    -ribs with garlic and pepper
    -bowl of typical salad

Workout:
    -nothing specific today but I did spend about an hour shovelling snow.

Feeling good overall. I've had some personal issues at home that have been getting me down at times throughout the day. I didn't eat enough at dinner. I was feeling full all day but I'm hungry right now. I'm almost wondering if what I'm feeling in my stomach is just my body digesting. The hunger pangs always seem to hit me about an hour after I eat.

Pretty typical day, food wise.

Breakfast:
    -2 scrambled eggs
    -1 avocado
    -2 cups of coffee

Lunch:
    -10 oz new york steak
    -bowl of typical salad
    -coffee

Snack:
    -stick of pepperoni with small piece of cheese
    -apple
    -small handful of cashews

Dinner:
    -4 chicken thighs
    -lots of broccoli and carrots
    -bowl of typical salad

Workout:
    I did Tabata intervals today. 3 sets of them which is my best yet. First set was box jumps, second was burpees and third was BW squats. Felt good but was very demanding.

SpecOps,

For exericse, I'm mostly doing bodyweight Tabata intervals and resistance training with a TRX suspension trainer. If you haven't heard of the TRX, check it out for sure. Apparently it was designed by an ex Navy Seals for field fitness. You can get a very demanding workout with it and all you need is a door or bar to set up. I'm also doing a lot of walking and snow shovelling just as part of work.

I checked the hot sauce and it was almost carb free and I'm keeping my fruit to pretty much just one apple a day. The only carbs I'm really getting are from vegetables. My body is definitely starting to adjust, it's been an easier transition than I thought. It will be nice when I'm at home and have access to a bit more food variety!

I forgot to post last night. More of the usual.

Breakfast:
    -2 fried eggs
    -1 avocado
    -2 pieces bacon

Lunch:
    -small bowl of vegetable soup
    -2 chicken thighs
    -1 apple
    -1 piece pepperoni

Dinner:
    -2 chicken thighs
    -pork ribs with bbq sauce (no way to avoid the sauce)
    -bowl of usual salad

Workout:
    -TRX workout

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't posted in a couple days but I just wanted to say that things are still going very well. I'm eating the same things almost everyday so I stopped posting my daily meals.

I had a slight cheat on March 12 because we had burritos for dinner which I absolutely love so I had one whole wheat wrap. Other than that, still been very primal. I'm certainly feeling good, my sprint workouts have been especially strong and I'm going to add a fourth Tabata set soon. My strength workouts haven't been as great. I'm not feeling overly strong but that's probably from the calorie deficit or something. It's not a big deal because right now, my focus is on dropping bodyfat.

I jumped on the scale after my shower last night and I was 162 lbs. The last time I weighed myself was a few months ago and I was 167 lbs. I can't tell yet how much bodyfat I've lost. I'm waiting until the end of the month and then I'll take photos again.