Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pooping Paleo page

Doc333 is offline Junior Member

Pooping Paleo

Primal Fuel
    I realize that most folks don't feel comfortable with frank discussions about their bowel habits, but I have a couple questions about "Paleo Pooping". I have been very diligent about a strict Paleo Diet, and consume plenty of vegetables, meats, nuts, and fluids. I've not been cheating, and have cut out nearly all dairy, with the exception of 2 tbsp of organic milk in my AM coffee. I do not have any chronic dietary intolerance's, and am in excellent overall health. I take supplemental flax seed oil, multivitamin, and probiotic, and I exercise daily. I have lost 12 lbs since I began my "Paleo" adventure on January 23rd, but the one problem I'm encountering is in my gut.

1) Should a "new Paleo person" expect their bowel movement consistency, frequency, and amount to be altered when their gut is adapting to absence of grain, wheat, and fiber associated with processed carbs such as bread, rice, crackers, etc.?

2) I've been adhering to a strict Paleo diet since January 23, 2011, and my bowels have not adapted well to the dietary change. I have severe abdominal cramping, and small soft movements. Is this normal for a "Paleo Poop"?

I could use some reassurance that this transitional "poop problem" is normal. I am a Registered Nurse, and don't really think I've picked up a "gut bug", so I'm asking....Is this normal?

Thank you in advance for a little "poopy" advice,
    Doc333

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    What your experiencing is very common. The loose stools and cramping will subside soon.

Then you'll be back on here wondering why the hell you don't poop any more! lol Really though, Paleo poop frequency tends to be a lot less than those consuming SAD. Grains = lots of poop! Meat = literally no poop, and fruits/veg = small amounts of poop.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    Here's the poop. Ok I just had to say that. I switched a week ago and now I am eating a lot more fat and protein and very few carbs at all. No lack of stool over here

Just a data point but I was really surprised as I had been eating gobs of veggies and fiber but with much less (salad mix and a few leafy veggies) I seem to be "moving" right along.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I started a 30 day paleo challenge 3 weeks ago from today. My bowel movements have been a little sloppy, too quick until 2 days ago. It takes time but you should not have abdominal cramping!

Do you eat any probiotic foods or take a probiotic supplement? I personally take Marks Primal Flora daily.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

hmmmm. I do take a probiotic, but I've cut out all fermented foods. Perhaps I should re-assess my probiotic. Thanks Mr. Toa.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    The Paleo Solution – Episode 69 Question 6 here talks about paleo constipation, why it happens and how to resolve it.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Here's an anecdote for you concerning dogs. I raw feed my dog meaty bones, organ meats, eggs, and a few cooked veggies now and then. His poops are about a quarter of the size of those poor kibble-fed doggies with their soft, stinky piles of poop. His poops are compact and whitish due to ingesting bone, and break down very quickly.

I am new here, and noticed that many folks who post on the forums seem not to be eating the amount of veggies that Mark suggests.

I noticed just a small adjustment in my own BMs since starting this, probably because I was already a low-refined carber for many years. I was constipated a couple of times till my body adjusted, and now I am back to regularity. I do eat yogurt, for what it's worth. I was never a big fan of veggies so I am making a concerted effort to eat a variety of them now, cooked and raw, every day.

Getting the scoop on poop

Thanks everyone for your feedback on "Paleo Poop". Over the past few days my gut has mellowed out, and I'm feeling much more confident that my body is adjusting as expected to the decreased "bulk" from carbs. I'm feeling strong, energetic, and psychologically balanced. The cramping has gone away, and I'm happy to report that my short term "bowel fixation" is much relieved after reading all of your comments. It's nice to have a group to bounce these questions off of.

Thank you,
    Grok On!
    Doc333

becalive is offline Junior Member
    I have the same problem. it is frustrating! I follow the primal diet, and include dairy in my diet and constantly I am type 5 on the bristol chart and sometimes 6. breakfast includes no nitrate bacon, pastured eggs, salad with chicken for lunch, dinner meat (deer or chicken), a couple of veggies with butter, salad and maybe mashed potatoes w/ cream cheese

just a few wks ago i was in florida, and and had a slight change to my diet was more seafood and a mini bagel everyday with my usual bacon n eggs (non pastured) breakfast. and changed to type 3 for the 1.5 weeks I was there.

come back home I'm back to "normal" again. do I need more dietary fiber?
    Last edited by becalive; 03-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.

meherbani is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello All! I'm new here...but had to share something I accidentally found to help me keep 'regular.' I have been eating more and more primal, but have had the constipation issues. I hate constipation! More fat did not help me, neither did probiotics. I did try the magnesium citrate, but did not like the idea of taking it forever...and I did not want to take even herbal laxatives. Well, one of my coworkers who is only 41 had a heart attack...the guy is a firefighter, very fit, so freaked out a bit I started doing research on heart health. I discovered cayenne is this miracle substance for the heart, so I started taking a 1/4 tsp of cayenne in a cup of water every morning. Lo and behold no more constipation!!!!!! I take about 1/4 tsp a day in a cup of water...at first I only took a bit...I mean it is cayenne! But after a couple days, I actually really enjoy this tonic. Seems like it gives me energy! Anyway, I hope this helps people! There is quite a bit of info about cayenne online, but thought I would post a bit.

From the internet site below: "Cayenne pepper is powerful herb that has many health benefits. Cayenne is a home remedy that can stop constipation since it is effective in producing peristalsis action. It is also effective in helping you digest your food and to increases your blood circulation. You can use it regularly at every meal and when needed for constipation. Cayenne pepper is known to help thin the blood. So, it is good for improving blood circulation, but should not be taken if you are using blood thinner drugs."

Read more: Use Cayenne to Stop Constipation
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Best All!
    Mary Alice

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast