Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprints page

Mizz Hawaii is offline Senior Member

Sprints

Primal Fuel
    For those of you that have been doing sprints what is the difference you've noticed in your body since doing them? How often are you doing them? How long are your sprints and how many are you doing? I just started doing sprints last week. I've only done them once so far. I'm interested in the physical changes it produces and results you've achieved.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I would be interested too so I'm bumping this up. I'm new to sprinting too. I do about one sprint workout/week, and I usually only make it about 10 - 15 minutes total (multiple sets of short sprints in 10 - 15 minutes total with some rests/walk in between.) Not sure if that's a good starting point or not. I will then walk for 30 minutes or so after my sprint session.

Natsfan44 is offline Member
    I started sprinting back in the fall. I go out to a park near my house once per week and sprint variable distances ranging from 10 to 100 yds for about 15 to 20 minutes. I'll run some strides, some all out sprints, and most effective...some where I change gears mid-sprint. My rest in between sprints is the time is takes to walk back to the start line. I have noticed the following:

1. More explosiveness in every thing I do. My deadlifts and kb swings are much more powerful.
    2. My core has really tightened up
    3. Less joint pain in my knees and hips.

Sprints rock.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Sprints rock for sure!

I find that if I sprint after I do my distance run (only 1.5 mile..not long distance) my hip doesn't hurt. The other day my hip was getting to aching while I was running, so I did about 3-4, 50 yard sprints and the pain went away entirely.

My core is definitely stronger too.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I am pretty regimented with my sprinting. Once a week I sprint at the track and warm up with a slow 1 mile jog then I do 4 x 400's, 4 x 200's and if I have anything left I will do many 2 x 100's. Also once a week I will do an interval run which incorporates hill sprints, it is a 3 mile interval run where I do 6-8 sprints during the run.

I have been doing them for a couple years and I feel like I have gotten a lot more explosive for other sports because of them. Especially in basketball. You also get a nice lean/ripped look from doing them a lot.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Sprints did wonders for me. They really seemed to kick-start things, boosting energy, fat burning, etc.

PS: Congrats on your success [story], Mizz! I assume you were the latest Friday Success Story, based on your avatar photo. Great progress!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I do dance "sprints" at our local movement studio. I don't even own a pair of running shoes (or VFFs), but I've been barefoot freestyle dancing for the last 12 years and it's so much fun to "go wild" periodically within the 2 hour sessions.

I can't tell if they have specifically made a difference, since Iwas doing them Pre-Primal, but they are really fun & I am def losing body fat!

Dance 'sprints' are great for burning fat. I do that with the kids. I am not sure though that you get the same type of muscular benefits from dance sprints as you would with running sprints. You will get muscle benefits, but for different muscles groups.

I think maybe I should add more crazy dance to our lives though, it will help me work muscles I often neglect

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    Dance 'sprints' are great for burning fat. I do that with the kids. I am not sure though that you get the same type of muscular benefits from dance sprints as you would with running sprints. You will get muscle benefits, but for different muscles groups.

I think maybe I should add more crazy dance to our lives though, it will help me work muscles I often neglect
    maybe add a little russian dance for a full body workout... YouTube - Russian Dance Kalinka
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast