Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those interested in Sandbag Training page

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

For those interested in Sandbag Training

Primal Fuel
    I recently got my hands on a new sandbag from the guys at Brute Force Sandbags and I've been training with it for the past few weeks. As most of you probably know, I train almost exclusively with homemade sandbags. I've had a lot of fun with the Brute Force bag though and it has stood up to some tough workouts!

What makes it so good?

The addition of 8 different handles on the bag really opens up lots of options for different exercises. While it is possible to replicate some of these without handles, others (like the snatch) just aren't possible. And, if you want a tougher 'grip' workout then you can just grab hold of the cordura.

The sand is contained in fillable inserts (3 in my bag). These haven't leaked, despite dumping the bag multiple times from overhead. It also allows for the sand to move around within the bag and makes many lifts more challenging. And the inserts can be added or removed during workouts to add or reduce intensity.

The bag seems indestructible. I've heard from lots of people who have had problems with sandbags splitting during workouts so this would be a great choice.

For sandbag workout ideas head over to The Sandbag Fitness Blog

Check out Brute Force Sandbags

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    hey coach.
    i like the idea of sandbag training, but i'm not wild about dropping over $100 dollars on one just yet. do you have any good instructions for making a homemade sandbag?

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Ditto. Some of us live on just over $100 for our grocery budget. Buying an expensive sandbag just isn't an option.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking of buying a Brute Force bag. The two homemade ones I had started leaking way too fast. This summer I imagine my workout equipment will consist of a sandbag, a 16 lb sledgehammer, and gymnast rings that I can sling over a bar somewhere.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Buy a duffel bag, buy a bag of sand. (Or go to the beach and get free sand.) There, sandbag.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    LOL Darth, true. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a decent duffel bag around here.

I'd toyed with the idea of buying a nice sandbag shell, and filling it with my own bags of sand. Should work...

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The bags that sand comes in still leak.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to be buying salt bags now that they're going to be cheaper, re-bagging them (not taking them out of their original bag) and taping the F out of them. I'm not sure how well they'll hold, but since I can buy 25lb bags I think they will come in handy. I wonder where I can buy sacks or like tough linen or something to make them more sturdy, but since the snow season is pretty much over in NJ I'm hoping to get some cheap salt bags if they're even still available. If I can find 40lb or 50lb bags I'll buy one of those as well.

Enter, Ross Enamait: http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

if you guys are unfamiliar with this site, check out: RossTraining.com • View topic - Homemade Equipment Links

tons of DIY (do it yourself) training equipment how-to's.

FORGET SAND, USE SOMETHING ELSE. Sand will leak too easily, use different material, gravel maybe, check out the link I posted you goons.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    The bags that sand comes in still leak.
    That's why the devil invented duct tape.

Diana, I'd just go for an old school Army Navy store duffel. Wrap the sand bag in plastic or some such, duct tape the sucker up, insert into duffel. Done. Nothing is was or ever will be perfect including $100 sandbags.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think they will come in handy. I wonder where I can buy sacks or like tough linen or something to make them more sturdy,

Try canvas. We used to wrap sacks of rice in canvas and duct tape and then toss them around trying to catch them as they fell to increase grip strength for joint locks.

Sand might leak, but it's advantage is that it has less volume for it's weight. We also used to use lead shot for this reason.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast