Thread: So happy!! I found grass-fed meat!! Lots of it! page

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

So, through this site: www.eatwild.com I found a few farms near me that produce organic, pastured beef, pork, chicken, lamb and eggs. And they just happen to all go to one particular farmer's market on Sunday which is only about a 15 minute drive from me.

So, I checked it out yesterday and got myself 2 doz. eggs, a pound of lamb sausage, a giant sirloin steak and a couple packs of baby-back ribs! So far I've eaten the lamb sausage (with Moroccan seasoning), it was SO GOOD - and only $6 for the lb. And the yolks of the eggs are SO DARK - darker even then the omega-3 eggs I've been getting at the super market.

I can't wait to go back again next weekend and really stock up! I was surprised by how NOT expensive it is - sure, a little more than grocery store prices, but not much. Especially for the more fatty cuts/products that most people won't buy. It's good to buy straight from the farmer!

So checkout that site! www.eatwild.com

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Congrats!

EatWild is a fantastic site. I found a couple farms near me using the site. I think it's a great tool to help us support our local farmers as well.

I've come to the point where I think I need to buy a chest freezer.

Biglee Guest

NOTHING beats wild/free range eggs!

The yolks have soo much flavor to them. I'll pay $4.00 for a dozen of wild compared with $1.00 for a dozen at the local Kroger's anyday.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh Biglee me too! My pastured eggs are $4.00/dozen at my local farmers market, but they taste SO GOOD! Dark orange yolks that just stand right up in the pan...yum. I found an awesome supply of grass fed beef using eatwild.com also, I might buy a whole quarter and stick it in the freezer this month (at $3.15/pound it's a steal!).

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

how great! I need to use that when we move. I'd love to buy 1/4 beef cow and some chickens and stuff.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Eatwild is a great site. I used it last week to find a farm nearby and purchased 1/8 of an organic grass fed cow. I have to wait until July 26th and it was almost double what I would pay in the store, but it is worth it to know exactly where my meat is coming from!

I've also been toying with the idea of raising my own chickens.

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member

I've also been thinking of raising chickens! I'm not sure the husband will go for it, but he should b/c he grew up on a farm.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

i really want to raise chickens too. it depends on where we're going to be living though, for now (i doubt we'd be allowed to have chickens in base housing anywhere... I know it's not allowed on this base). Would be awesome to have the fresh eggs all the time.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

I found Organic, Grass-Fed Beef at $3.33/ Lb, on sale, through that website! AND the farm is barely 1/4 mile away! That's cheaper than crappy store meat (non-organic & grain-fed)!