Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys get pumped up before a workout? page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

How do you guys get pumped up before a workout?

Primal Fuel
    I like working out, but I feel like im not doing it intensly enough. I wanna go HARD. I wanna be strong as fuck but lean and agile....any tips?

(i.e. how long do you workout for, whats your routine, how do u ready urself, where do you workout, ect...)

And I feel like my job drains me. Like I can workout hard as hell but don't have proper recovory the nex day cause im busting my ass again at work...should I worry about this? or will it make me stronger?

I've been doing a week of weight/strength training alternating with a week of bodyweight excercises. Sprints once a week.

I haven't been doing this very long though so maybe i'm not giving myself enough time for progress. I do look stronger though

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    I like working out, but I feel like im not doing it intensly enough. I wanna go HARD. I wanna be strong as fuck but lean and agile....any tips?

(i.e. how long do you workout for, whats your routine, how do u ready urself, where do you workout, ect...)

And I feel like my job drains me. Like I can workout hard as hell but don't have proper recovory the nex day cause im busting my ass again at work...should I worry about this? or will it make me stronger?

I've been doing a week of weight/strength training alternating with a week of bodyweight excercises. Sprints once a week.

I haven't been doing this very long though so maybe i'm not giving myself enough time for progress. I do look stronger though
    First, how old are you? Secondly...no...work will not drain you physically if you dont allow it to (i.e. mentally). The strongest I EVER was in my life was when I was moving furniture for a summer job in college. I physically lifted heavy objects and carried them some distances to and from a moving truck for 10-12 hours A DAY.
    On my days off...I worked out and I was POWERFUL. And I wasnt taking anything or dont have super genetics. So, I imagine you dont work in a more physically demanding environment than that...(or maybe you do?). If you dont..then your work problem is mental. And you are "stressed". Which means you have cortisol secreted in your blood from you being stressed. Cortisol will demotivate even the most dedicated person. Best to avoid it if you can. Ways to avoid it are numerous...including working out...but most important is figuring out a way to mentally not stress. You need to figure that out so you can maximize your workouts.

For working out...I find lifting heavy weights (5 sets of 5 reps ) for 5-10 sets with short rests between sets (max 30 sec) and supersetting (i.e. working two body parts simultaneously in back to back sets) works best for me. Including my 10 minute cardio warm up..I am in and out of the gym in 60 minutes. The reasons for the short, intense work outs are twofold. 1) long workouts can be a stressor similar to stress from work (i.e. making you release cortisol) 2) human growth hormone (HGH) is released more in response to short, intense workouts. HGH is the body's natural anabolic (i.e. muscle builder). The more you release...the bigger you can get from weightlifting.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Melody is offline Senior Member
    i work out in a competitive environment, it keeps me going.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I usually crank some tunes and hit it heavy. I lift very close to the same way nachobrawler does minus the supersets. I don't talk to people, I don't take long breaks, I just lift. I ask for the occational spot when I bench but even then it is quick. I get the spot say thank you and move on to the next exercise. If you keep your focus and lift heavy your workouts will be fine. Strength and size will come with proper diet, rest and training. If you expect results tomorrow you will get discouraged and not reach your goals. Good luck.
    "Live Free or Die"

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

1:20 to 2:30, picturing myself big and ripped like Ahhhnold.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    First, how old are you? Secondly...no...work will not drain you physically if you dont allow it to (i.e. mentally). The strongest I EVER was in my life was when I was moving furniture for a summer job in college. I physically lifted heavy objects and carried them some distances to and from a moving truck for 10-12 hours A DAY.
    On my days off...I worked out and I was POWERFUL. And I wasnt taking anything or dont have super genetics. So, I imagine you dont work in a more physically demanding environment than that...(or maybe you do?). If you dont..then your work problem is mental. And you are "stressed". Which means you have cortisol secreted in your blood from you being stressed. Cortisol will demotivate even the most dedicated person. Best to avoid it if you can. Ways to avoid it are numerous...including working out...but most important is figuring out a way to mentally not stress. You need to figure that out so you can maximize your workouts.

For working out...I find lifting heavy weights (5 sets of 5 reps ) for 5-10 sets with short rests between sets (max 30 sec) and supersetting (i.e. working two body parts simultaneously in back to back sets) works best for me. Including my 10 minute cardio warm up..I am in and out of the gym in 60 minutes. The reasons for the short, intense work outs are twofold. 1) long workouts can be a stressor similar to stress from work (i.e. making you release cortisol) 2) human growth hormone (HGH) is released more in response to short, intense workouts. HGH is the body's natural anabolic (i.e. muscle builder). The more you release...the bigger you can get from weightlifting.
    I'm 19, yeah it probably is stress and cortisol. I just got moved from dairy to frozen at Stop and Shop. Tuesdays and Thursday Mornings I have to break down the trucks and put the food onto U-boats. Its stressful as fuck because in the morning there's no U-boats so I have to seek em out and ask ther departments for theirs (and I need like 5-7, no one wants to give up their boats they get pissy), then I have to break down the truck as fast as I can because I'm expected to pack out two of those boats. I'm workin 10-3, got class before and after work.

I move as fast as I can but by the time the next kid comes in ( a real douche; drives a big truck, shaved head, loves the word "bro") always seems pissed at the amount of work I did. I asked to go back to dairy and was told to get my balls on straight...

So I did, i've been working as hard as I can, but still man idk...fuckin hate this job..I got it while i was in highschool too so it's my last piece of akward leftover shyness from back in the day....i'm stuck with it though job market's shitty around here.

So yeah, stress...I think im gonna move my workouts to my workdays anyway though. This way I got two really stressful days physically and mentally and two complete rest days (Mondays and Wednesdays are completly free.

SWO Life is offline Member
    Dude, that sounds bad as fuck bro. Jobs are gay as fuck too. Just workout all day and get swole as fuck and shit!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I don't really try and get pumped for workouts lol, usually just listening to the adam carolla show or some other podcast. Cracking up during squats probably isn't optimal though ^^ Honestly though I love lifting and even the most heavy metal song doesn't make me lift intensely than I do without it.
    If you're lacking energy, try sleeping more and napping before going to the gym (and possibly after aswell)

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    The right music.

I'd also spend some time working on your future career... sounds like you don't want to work at a grocery store forever.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I go into my garage, shut the door and start throwing the sandbag around. I don't leave until I feel like I've achieved something.

Record everything - weight, sets, reps, rest periods, ROM...everything. Somedays I push myself so hard just to knock 1 second off a PB - but 1 second means the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast