Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: liver pep talk? page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

liver pep talk?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i've had a beef liver in my freezer for a few weeks, and i think it may be time to take the plunge. anyone want to give me a pep talk? why is it so good for me, and how is it best prepared?
    thanks!

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Dredge in almond flour, salt & pepper. Saute in olive oil, butter, lard, whatever you like, on one side. Remove from pan and add sliced onions, Saute until carmelized. Sprinkle balsamic vinegar over the onions and add the liver on top to cook the other side. The most important thing is to cook on a low heat and do not overcook. It should still be pink in the middle, but not red.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Beef liver paté~ Use the Nourishing Traditions chicken liver paté recipe- or this one.

Nom nom! Vitamin A, micronutrients, Iron...

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I took the plunge a few weeks ago (albeit with calves liver). I soaked it in heavy cream for a few days (folks recommended milk, but I don't do milk). After patting it dry, I cooked on medium low in bacon fat (in which I had sauteed some yellow onion). I can't say I enjoyed the flavor, but it was okay. Plus, I think I actually felt the "healthy factor".

Mind you, I've HATED liver since childhood, so "okay" is a raving plug.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking, "rah rah rah! Go liver go! Filter that blood!"

But to answer your question, I've made liver many times in the past couple years (not recently, need to find a source!), and every single time I make it, I think I'm going to hate it. And then every single time, it is SO good. I think my body really needs whatever's in it, because I can't get enough. Try this recipe, and eat it with homemade sauerkraut.

(not your average) Liver and Onions « Edible Aria

Melody is offline Senior Member
    take it out of the freezer, grate with a cheese grater, put a smaller than fist sized pile in the blender with tomato juice, lime juice, cayenne, and salt. blend, chug, don't barf. you will feel awesome all day.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I love liver. Here are a couple of recipes I particularly love.

CALF'S LIVER WITH ONIONS - Fegato alla Veneziana

Calf’s liver with marsala and sage recipe | Recipes - Times Online

Is it a whole liver? If so - lucky, lucky you!

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm, breadsauce, just tried your recipe #2, like it much better than mine (which came from Mario Batali). It's more fat than I usually use, the onions cook longer so they're brown and delicious, and the squeezed lemon is genius. Thanks! And a note to Saoirse, get calves liver if possible, much nicer.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    take it out of the freezer, grate with a cheese grater, put a smaller than fist sized pile in the blender with tomato juice, lime juice, cayenne, and salt. blend, chug, don't barf. you will feel awesome all day.
    do you really do this, or is it a joke? It actually sounds pretty good.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I'm sick with a nasty stuffed head and cough, and just fried up a panful of liver in tons of butter. It was delish. The dogs got half of it tho, I'm just not that hungry when I'm sick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast