Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a secret to perfectly peeled hard-boiled eggs? page

Dana is offline Junior Member

Is there a secret to perfectly peeled hard-boiled eggs?

Occasionally I manage to hard-boil an egg that peels just perfectly, but most of the time the shell is adhered to the white and I end up stripping off some of the egg along with the shell (and cursing up a storm while I'm at it lol). What am I missing?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    The older the egg, the easier it is to peel. More air gets inside the shell over time. I usually let mine stay in the fridge for 1-2 weeks before I consider boiling them. Also, I find that putting them into cold water directly after they are done cooking and then peeling is easier than peeling them after they have been in the fridge a while.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    One secret I learned when I was having this same frustration is to put the eggs in the pan with the water to let them acclimate to the same temperature (meaning water and eggs) before boiling. Since patience is one of my deficiencies, I take the eggs out of the fridge and add the water plus ice. Then boil. I can't say this is 100% fail proof but it helps most of the time.

I also put them in cold water with ice after boiling to help them cool off quicker.

I did not know that about OLD vs. NEW eggs, so thank you yodie. I will try and let some eggs age and test this out. My MIL in Germany stores her eggs in a wooden cabinet (looks like a little chicken coop) and this always wierded me out that she didn't refrigerate them.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Yup, old eggs. We go through them so fast though! I'll have to stash a dozen in the back where I can't see it.

I don't think anyone in Europe refrigerates their eggs. In London, we bought them right off the shelf.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Also, using a safety-pin to prick the eggs before you boil them works nicely. (you'd think egg white would gush out the pin hole, but it doesn't).

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    Old eggs help, but for me not overcooking them makes a big difference. As soon a you take them off the boil cool them in cool water. If you don't they retain heat and continue to cook in the shell. When you crack them roll them under your hand, pressing down to crack the shell. I just did a batch last night and they all peeled perfectly.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    Also, using a safety-pin to prick the eggs before you boil them works nicely. (you'd think egg white would gush out the pin hole, but it doesn't).
    I can vouch for this technique. I have a hard boiled egg maker which has a little pin which you are supposed to use to prick the egg prior to cooking. I never have any problems peeling, no matter how new the eggs are.

Determined is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The trick is to find out how many minutes it takes to boil your eggs without overdoing it. Combine the water and eggs in a pot enough water to cover the eggs, put your element on high until it boils turn down to medium for the remaining times. Each stove top is different but mine is 16 minutes from beginning to end. The trick is to then empty the water and let cool without adding cold water for 1 minute. Then you crack the eggs to break the shell while still warm and the shell literally peels off. Works every time, prepare to have hot hands but you get perfect eggs without the temperature drop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast