Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Dishes page

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Ever since I've started cooking solely with animal fat every time I finish a meal my bowl (or plate) is covered in a fatty film. Even with soap this layer of leftover fat is very difficult to remove (impossible with water alone...), and since I do not like to use harsh cleaners, takes a lot of scrubbing. Has anyone else had experience with this and have some tips as to making this process quicker and less laborious?

crunchysue Guest

I use BioKleen dish soap - it purports to be better for the environment than the brand name soaps, and it works pretty well.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Justin:

I was just marvelling myself yesterday about how exceptionally well-seasoned my saute pans were getting :-)

I, too have noticed that my old dish soap from Whole Paycheck just wasn't cutting it. I had to upgrade to a grocery store brand with "super degreaser".

I just don't use very much of it, and make sure the water is really, really hot.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I find a bit of vinegar goes a long way for degreasing!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

wrinkledamanda is offline Junior Member

I love a little borax in the dishwater - I just make sure to rinse the dish very well when I'm done.

maranne is offline Senior Member

I use biodegradable stuff from ecover and an Austrian brand called FROG. Both do their job really well.

M

klcarbaugh Guest

I have the same problem. My Dawn dish soap isn't cutting it... I will have to try the vinegar and maybe baking soda??

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

All soaps and detergents are biodegradable. Once upon a time the latter had lots of phosphorous, but that got the boot in the 1970's.

Use the hottest water you have available. That alone will "cut" most greases.

You may prefer an "alternative" detergent because for political reasons, or the raw ingredients, but once they head down the drain they are no better than the Proctor and Gamble ones.

For me, the dishwasher does a great job! (They work more on having VERY hot water heated internally splashing for a long time than they do actual detergent action.) Not having one for many, many years I wallow in the luxury. Ditto laundry machines.

Acmebike is offline Member

In my machine, often I get a film on certain silicon or plastic utensils. Everything else comes out clean. Just gonna experiment with other detergents. But, yes, this fatty film has been ever since the swap to tallow, lard for all my cooking. Love it. Gotta like a healthy saturated fat that is so resistant to volatile reactions and just stays, well, fat. Gotta be good for the cells in my body!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Lick them clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast