Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (BikerPike) page

BikerPike Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi!

I've been reading the site for a few weeks and started doing Primal 2 weeks ago. I'm very motivated by what I've read and inspired by the success and life changes I have read about on this site. I have a lot to learn.

I'm 47 and a mom to 5 kids.

I've been working on losing weight since '03 and have lost up to 97 pounds but put on about 10 from my low. I lost 62 pounds the first year doing different low carb diets starting with Atkins. When I started being more active and training for triathlons I added more whole grains and starches back into my diet. My weight loss really slowed down but I made progress slowly.

I did learn to love to exercise and have found I love to cycle and run. I have been doing triathlons for last 6 years with my last two years focusing on Ironman races.

In two weeks doing Primal I've lost 7 pounds, getting off grains and sugar has cleared my mind, and I can feel the difference in both my energy level and emotions. Plus the food is so tasty!

I'm still working on eating when hungry as my appetite is gone. Being a Mom and having kids we tend to eat together and so I eat even when I'm not hungry. I've done a couple IFs for about 18-20 hours and felt good.

I've tracked my calories on and off for 5 years. I'm eating as many calories as I did but now I'm losing weight when before I ate many more carbs and less fat and would not lose weight on same calories. It feels so odd after so many years of hearing CW and avoiding fat to want to eat fat.

I am racing cyclocross this fall (think steeple chase on bikes but I do the jumping over the barriers carrying my bike) so trying to learn how to adapt PB for racing as I need a few more carbs and more stored glycogen.

I do a lot of walking, easy cycling and some easy paced running. I'm counting cyclocross as sprints for now. I will start strength training again soon which I love. I've had a goal to do pull ups for awhile and will learn to do them.

My husband after doing Ornish (low fat) has decided to try Primal for a week.

BikerPike Guest

Daily averages for the past 7 days

Energy Gained Through Food:

1874 cals

Fat:

113.7 g, 54%

Carbs:

114.9 g, 24%

Protein:

106.3 g, 22%

Last week excercise:

I did 10 hours of exercise all of it other than cross races where zone 1 or 2 ie easy, ran 4x, walked most every day, swam, biked zone 2 which is really easy.

I am tracking through Calorie King as I transition to Primal as I want to check how I'm doing. I like the idea of not having to count calories but let my appetite guide me. I don't trust it enough yet.

Carbs are a bit higher average as I took more in Saturday and Sunday as I raced cyclocross.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

bikerpike, nice to see your journal! cyclocross sounds fun.

BikerPike Guest

DCKMB: thanks...cyclocross is wicked fun as we say here in MA. Funny thing is I often race with women that are my son's age. I love that with weight loss, more energy, I have found many fun things to do. Cyclocross is one of them. It is biggest in NE and Pacific Northwest.

BikerPike Guest

Last week was not exactly what I hoped.

After not eating much fat and focusing in on lean foods for last 4-5 years, I've enjoyed eating things I haven't for years. I did to much eating of yummy Primal food and not listening to my appetite as I wasn't hungry.

Another issue I see when my family is home together we all eat together which doesn't necessarily line up with when I'm hungry.

I think I'm to used to eating when bored and at certain times of the day just because I always have.

We got our first order of grass fed beef, lamb and pork and worked on finding healthier options for food as it is a whole new shopping adventure. The bacon and ground beef was so good.

Exercise this week:

2 hours easy zone 2 cycling

3 hours of easy running

3:45 of walking

1/2 hour of swimming

1:15 cyclocross intense bike racing

This week hope to

~listen to my appetite as to when to eat

~IF twice

~eat more veggies

~start P90X

~track my calories again via Calorie King

~have fun fitness time with my kids

Baglady is offline Junior Member

hi bikerpike! we are of similar ages and have similar stories and both are on Calorie King? Wow, have we seen each other there before? I have the same screenname there as here. Looks like we started all this at about the same time too and your findings so far are just like mine as well! very cool!

I look forward to getting to know you.

bags

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

BikerPike Guest

Hi Bags....I don't use CK on line but bought it and use it on my computer.

Good luck..thanks for visiting my blog~

Baglady is offline Junior Member

Hey Bikerpike! Yeah my running is much easier than before. I feel so good and feel I could run much farther than before. my heaad feels like it is screwed on right! I don't seem to have my body telling me all the time to stop. Kinda like the little monkey has left the house!!

I am glad you are here, It will be nice to compare our progresses!

Hope you have a great day!

Bags

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

BikerPike Guest

Today 40' of walking then did the base line testing for P90X..did over what they recommend to start other than pull ups..want to get strong enough to do them.

testing:

0 pull ups, to eyebrows with 1 foot on chair 18" out

10.5" vertical jump? seems wrong

7 push ups

toe touch +3 inches beyond toes

1:25 wall squats

38 bicep curls...8 pounds to easy

40 ins & outs

B: fried bacon & eggs

S: almonds

L: shrimp and feta stew in tomato/garlic sauce

D: lamb steak, lettuce tomato, cucumber, apple, dk chocolate covered almonds

calories: 1881

Fat: 113 grams

carbs: 79 grams

protein: 149 grams

Tried to focus on eating when hungry and not when I'm used to eating as well as if my stomach is making sounds but I'm not hungry don't eat. Walked when I really want to eat something. Eating for nutrition instead of for other reasons is a skill I need to work on.

BikerPike Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yesterday I rode my bike zone 1/2 for 2:45 and it was a beautiful fall day..I stayed in the zone of rule 3 move slowly.

I ate to much dark chocolate last night and I don't know why I ate so much it

WOD: ran easy 4/1 run/walk for 45' then walked an additional 40'. Beautiful fall NE day with maples trees leaves changing to red/orange.

I IFed until 11:30

Breakfast: bacon, eggs, greek yougurt w/raspberries

Snack after run/walk: small banana

Dinner: Turkey breast cooked w/3 bacon stripes over it, green beans Chinese style, apple w/cashew butter

Snack: Primal almond flour/dark CC cookie

Calories: 1783

Fat: 109

Protein: 121

Carbs: 83

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast